How to get the best GPU for MB?

J Bo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello fellow computer heads. I have been looking for days to find some way, web page, that will help a person understand what is the max Graphic Card a Mother board will use with the least trouble.

I do not use the User Guide on CPU, RAMM, & GPU as I have found you can take it at least one step up on all this. As an example, the User Guide for MB(M2N32-SLI DELUXE) says THE GPU recommended is 7900GTX, & it is running fine with XFX 9800 GTX XXX DDR3 which is a big step up in performance as one of these is better the two of the others on SLI.

I am trying to max out an Asus M3N-HT Deluxe. I would like to find out what others found working or not so I don't buy an expensive card that will have issues.

Any positive thoughts & advice welcomed. Thanking You. J Bo :sol:

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Max out? It can virtually use any card on the market today. I'm guessing three GTX480's would be considered max out since it only supports SLI. Wouldn't recommend it though.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
its really a case of ratio , if you got a crappy CPU then there is no point getting the Best graphic's card you can get because the CPU will bottleneck the power of the card. you gotta kinda look at it in scale. if you got an old dual core then you probably shouldnt buy a GTX480. maybe something in the mid to lower end rage of video cards, like GTS 240etc. but if you got a lets say a core 2 Quad 9550 then you can go higher still, lets say a GTX 290. and if you overclock your CPU you can probably go ahead and get your GTX480..

but then you also gotta look at it like this: What are you using your computer for?
if your an hardcore gamer or just a well rounded PC that you do a little bit of everything on. Then you can just get a midrage card maybe a card in the mid to high rage. you dont really NEED the best of the best. for example, I'm running a GeForce GTS 250 and it does everything i need it to, including gaming.

so think ratio. If you got a mid-range computer, get a mid-range card
if you got a High end computer, get a High-end card
if you got a low-end cheapy computer, get a lower end graphics card.

J Bo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Ok, thanx Skolpo & Steadfast1984

After carful thought, do to your advice, I have decided on only one GTX480'S SLI (Not sure which one yet) for now due to CPU & PSU issues.

Will upgrade these later starting next month. Great fun and thanking both of you again.

J Bo

J Bo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Dear steadfast1984, :hello:

I got the FeForce GTX 480 GDDR4 IN THE 1536Mb size. It is from Sparkle and they have such a wimpy user guide. If you would not mind I have a power Q for this card. It come with a 6 pin, and a 8 pin right next to the 6 pin. The PSU is a Tagan 900W Turbojet series. It has four 6 pin connections for the PCI-E power connections. How am I to power this PCI-e up? It came with a converter with two 6 female connections on one end, and a male 8 pin on the other. Really, it came new in the box without clear directions on how to hook it up. No joke.

Hope you can help. Thanking You. J Bo :sol:

Out or curiousity, what CPU do you have? What OS and monitor resolution do you use?

The games you play would also have been helpful in helping you choose a card. As you got the best single GPU card on the market, I'm sure you'll be happy, but all these questions would have helped use help you more.

I see you had your spec's in your member information. You might want to upgrade your MB and CPU if it's what I think you are trying to write. It's definately going to be a bottleneck of your system.

If you have an Athlon 64 6400+ black box edition, that's going to hold back your video card, unless you are playing at extreme resolutions.

J Bo

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
hello you fellow PC nuters,

Dear steadfast1984,

I did some research and found Overclockers UK Technical Support, Warranty and Returns Policy could help me out with that Q. I did it correct but the screen is garbled with all the colors running around in dots. I did buy two of these cards so will try the second one and keep in close contact with the company I bought it from. They give 28 days hassel free custmer support which is very great.

Leave you free to help others and thanks again.

J Bo