[CPU and Other] Problem Need Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfmjr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for help but there I go.

I've build a new system a couple of weeks ago with:

MOBO Asus
i5 760 (cpu cooler original)
GTX 460

The system was working flawlessly until I had to move it around.
I had a short trip with the CPU in my car, sitting behind the drivers seat, it was well and safe there but when I got to the destination I realised that the CPU heat-sink fell off the mobo and it hit my GPU and MOBO, it seems that some of those small little things in the GPU has been damaged. Now my computer won't turn on.

It might have damaged something in the MOBO and GPU. How come the intel cooler is attached so loose? I have followed the manual and was about to replace it for a Megahalems.

My question is, can I get a RMA or claim warranty on my MOBO and GPU if it has been damaged by the poor made intel heatsink? My system is less than a month old ...oh gosh ...

I appreciate any response.

Solution
Good to know your components are intact.. Antec PSU's are very good quality.. Sometimes though, even the best slips down.. CoolerMaster PSU's are not worth consideration.. XFX is a far better brand in those regards.. My recommendation would be to get the 750 W Black Edition if you can live with the looks of it..
Not sure on that.. Your damage is a physical one and as such voids the warranty terms.. The heatsink being loose can (mostly will) be seen as a connectivity fault on your side.. You were probably holding the case in a vertical manner.. Remember to keep it on a horizontal plane from next time onwards.. Anyway, you can't do anything other than apply for a replacement.. Good luck..

P.S. - Try out the graphic card and the motherboard at any friends place before applying for RMA..

vfmjr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I'll do some more tests. I hope I can get a replacement. The MOBO and GPU don't look like they have been hit by something.

Anyway, I'll test them before any RMA.

Thank you!

vfmjr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Ok, the problem is the PSU, it's dead and I've used for less than 20 hours before moving it around.
What in the world could have caused the PSU do die suddenly? (nothing has been done to the PSU, so I was surprised to see it dead)

It's a brand new Antec TP 750W Blue.

The system is running fine with my old Hiper 580W. GPU and MOBO are all OK, even the GPU loosing some of those tiny ceramic things that is on the back of the board. I hope they won't make any difference in the long term. I've pushed the GPU quite hard and I didn't notice any problem whatsoever.

=) I'm glad it's "just" the PSU. I'm disappointed with Antec. I was going to buy a Cooler Master or the XFX one but thought that Antec was better. It just died in 3 days.
I'm in contact with their support but I'll probably have to spend another £ 30 to send it to the US to get it fixed (I'm in Brazil right now and I'll stay for a few months).

Oh well, at least I'll have it changed/fixed.

I've also contacted the store, if they accept it back and if I can change the product I'll go for a different brand for sure.

Good to know your components are intact.. Antec PSU's are very good quality.. Sometimes though, even the best slips down.. CoolerMaster PSU's are not worth consideration.. XFX is a far better brand in those regards.. My recommendation would be to get the 750 W Black Edition if you can live with the looks of it..

Solution

vfmjr

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for the reply, probably due to warranty I'll have to stick with Antec, lets see the outcome.

I've bought the Antec after reading so many good reviews and also because it shares its platform with some very good brands.

I can live with the looks of the XFX 750 Black Edition, no problem, the fan in my case will be facing down as I have the PSU bottom mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.