Sign in with
Your question

Custome Build - "No Drived were Found" Windows 7 64-bit Install

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2012 3:55:12 PM

I just built my first PC ever and everything was going great until I tried installing Windows 7 64-bit. It says "No drives were found". I have an WD RE4 1TB HDD (WD1003FBYX) connected to a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard. The HD is SATA 3Gb if i am not mistaken, so I connected it to the SATA Port#3 on the mobo (this was verified by my BIOS). Ports 2-5 are for SATA 3Gb devices. From what i understand, this should do the trick. However, it still gives me the error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
a b G Storage
September 3, 2012 5:27:00 AM

Normally in this situation you need to have the drivers on CD or USB and click on Load Drivers, but in your case I'm not seeing any mention of this as a requirement either for the motherboard or HDD.

Microsoft lists the device as fully Windows 7 64bit compatible.

A look at the WD support forum shows another person having the same problem as you, the recommendation to this user was to return the drive as defective.
November 2, 2012 11:57:07 AM

Dr_JRE said:
Normally in this situation you need to have the drivers on CD or USB and click on Load Drivers, but in your case I'm not seeing any mention of this as a requirement either for the motherboard or HDD.

A look at the WD support forum shows another person having the same problem as you, the recommendation to this user was to return the drive as defective.

I solved the problem by cleaning the disk drive as below.
-On the boot disk get past the language selection, select Repair, open Command Prompt and type the following commands;

diskpart
list disk
select disk <number>
clean

-Restart the system, the disk shows up for the installation.
Related resources
March 23, 2013 5:07:09 PM

I had to create an account to comment on this solution. I spent at least 3 days looking for this solution online, and this was by far the easiest fix. Great job Big-Reb, thanks.
April 27, 2013 9:01:11 AM

Big-Reb said:
Dr_JRE said:

-On the boot disk get past the language selection, select Repair, open Command Prompt and type the following commands;

diskpart
list disk
select disk <number>
clean

VERY BIG THANKS Big-Reb!!! :) 
April 30, 2013 10:21:06 PM

Big-Reb said:
Dr_JRE said:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <number>
clean

Hi. I've just spent the last few days pulling my hair out with a similar problem with a gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 DVI motherboard with an Intel Pentium g2020 processor and a Western Digital HDD (WD10EXEZ) and a clean install of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

This simple fix worked a treat, in a matter of seconds!

thanks a million Big-Reb : )
September 12, 2013 12:39:52 PM

THANK YOU SO MUUUUCH!!!!!!! You saved me!
December 18, 2013 3:39:30 PM

Big-Reb said:
Dr_JRE said:

diskpart
list disk
select disk <number>
clean

Took minutes to fix instead of hours or days. Thanks!!!
!