Closed Solved

Thunderstorm makes my system crash

Hi,
recently I reinstall my Windows because my hardrive failed when thunderstorm strike my town.
This is strange, because usually thunderstorm only makes my usb device temporary disabled, but now i think it getting worse.
Is there any way to protect my pc from this natural phenomenon?

Thks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thunderstorm makes system crash
  1. Chances are some other components may have been damaged. Lightning is unpredictable; even with proper surge protection, there is no guarantee your PC will escape damage should there be a nearby strike.

    The only really safe option if things get nasty is to unplug the computer and wait the storm out.
  2. I always use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)/battery back up unit with my systems.

    This is what I'm currently using:

    http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300LCD&tab=models

    It provides enough time to do a graceful shutdown of the computer when there is a power interruption.
  3. Check your house if its properly earthed or not. But thunderstorms are very powerful and protection against them is difficult.
  4. hell_storm2004 said:
    Check Have an electrician check your house if its properly earthed or not. But thunderstorms are very powerful and protection against them is difficult.

    You probably do not have the knowledge. It's pretty specialized.
  5. ko888 said:
    I always use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)/battery back up unit with my systems.

    This is what I'm currently using:

    http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300LCD&tab=models

    It provides enough time to do a graceful shutdown of the computer when there is a power interruption.

    I'm using UPS with built in voltage regulator, but i'm not sure if the voltage regulator can handle the voltage spikes caused by thunder

    hell_storm2004 said:
    Check your house if its properly earthed or not. But thunderstorms are very powerful and protection against them is difficult.

    my house isn't grounded, but i'm using wire to ground my case to the wall
  6. Best answer
    edwinjr said:
    my house isn't grounded, but i'm using wire to ground my case to the wall

    Hmm... That is a concern. Well get it done. Its very important. today your PC tomorrow your TV, who knows. I had my TV blow up even with my house properly grounded. Probably you may already have it done and you don't know about it.
  7. Best answer selected by edwinjr.
  8. Ok guys thks for the reply

    I think i just need to be carefull when thunder coming,
    just like Herr_koos said, unplug the computer and wait the storm out.

    I just hope the storm not coming when i need my computer on.
  9. edwinjr said:
    Ok guys thks for the reply

    I think i just need to be carefull when thunder coming,
    just like Herr_koos said, unplug the computer and wait the storm out.

    I just hope the storm not coming when i need my computer on.

    Yes that's the best advice! a surge protector or ups will do nothing protection wise if the wall outlet your rig is plugged into isn't grounded let alone your whole house.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Crash Devices Components