Thunderstorm makes my system crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinjr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hi,
recently I reinstall my Windows because my hardrive failed when thunderstorm strike my town.
This is strange, because usually thunderstorm only makes my usb device temporary disabled, but now i think it getting worse.
Is there any way to protect my pc from this natural phenomenon?

Thks

Solution

Hmm... That is a concern. Well get it done. Its very important. today your PC tomorrow your TV, who knows. I had my TV blow up even with my house properly grounded. Probably you may already have it done and you don't know about it.
Chances are some other components may have been damaged. Lightning is unpredictable; even with proper surge protection, there is no guarantee your PC will escape damage should there be a nearby strike.

The only really safe option if things get nasty is to unplug the computer and wait the storm out.

You probably do not have the knowledge. It's pretty specialized.

edwinjr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

I'm using UPS with built in voltage regulator, but i'm not sure if the voltage regulator can handle the voltage spikes caused by thunder

my house isn't grounded, but i'm using wire to ground my case to the wall

Hmm... That is a concern. Well get it done. Its very important. today your PC tomorrow your TV, who knows. I had my TV blow up even with my house properly grounded. Probably you may already have it done and you don't know about it.

Solution

edwinjr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Ok guys thks for the reply

I think i just need to be carefull when thunder coming,
just like Herr_koos said, unplug the computer and wait the storm out.

I just hope the storm not coming when i need my computer on.

Yes that's the best advice! a surge protector or ups will do nothing protection wise if the wall outlet your rig is plugged into isn't grounded let alone your whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.