Pc doesn't boot

Hello, before everything, pardon my English, it isn't my main language and I don't write it usually.
I have a homebuilt PC I've been using for the past three years without problems, processor: a Celeron at 2.6 ghz, 1 gb ram (1 Kingston stick, DDR), a 80 GB Maxtor HD, my MoBo is a CBs P4M800PRO-M478.
One day I was looking to videos on Youtube with headphones on and my pc freezed and emmited something like static through my 'phones. I tried resetting but it didn't work, so I had to turn it off from behind the case. However, I tried turning it on again, it turned on but it didn't emitted the two beeps it usually emits(the bios post, right?) so I turned it off. I opened the case and used air to clean it, from a safe distance of course, and checked was connected correctly. Tried to turn it on several times, once it got to the select os screen, I picked the first choice (Windows Xp, second choice is XP, also xD) and it freezed, other time it ran like it was fine, but restarted after a couple of minutes and then rebooted and didn't made the Bios beeps. For what I've read it could be the psu, the processor or the MoBo itself. However I don't have a lot of money right now, Is there a safe way to know what's wrong? I don't have any other PC's to test the other psu's or MoBo's or whatever.
3 answers Last reply
More about doesn boot
  1. Your English is fine. First thing that you can do is reseat the RAM or use it in different slot.
  2. Thank you all for your replys.

Funsurfer: I tried that already, swapping places with the other slot (my MotherBoard has 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots), I also tried using a pencil eraser in the contacts.
    jsc: I tried everything in that thread, except obviously testing the MoBo outside the case and testing the Psu with a paper clip or voltimeter. should I really try that?
    richDrizzy: No, it doesnt smell burnt, it's possible that the psu could be burnt to some degree and yet it could still turn on fully sometimes?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems