Are all AM3 boards backward compatible with AM2/AM2+

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I am going to purhcase an AM2/AMD Athlon x2 5200 cpu and need a motherboard to go with it. I want the motherboard to support the current AM3 chips for when I decide to go that route in the future. I see that on newegg they specify if a board is AM2/AM2+/AM3, but tigerdirect.com only specifies one of the three for each board. Please help. THanks.

Solution
No it doesn't work like that. You can use a AM3 cpu on most older AM2+ boards, but not AM2.

You cannot use a AM2/AM2+ cpu on a AM3 motherboard. AM3 motherboards require DDR3.

Can I ask why your buying a X2 5200 ?

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Want to put together the cheapest possible system for office use. Found the 5200 on tigerdirect.com for $45.

Couldn't I buy an AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard and run an AM2 chip on it with DDR2?

I currently run an AM3 AMD 965 chip on a DDR2 board.

$45 for a 500?? That's a major ripoff dude.

Is the whole reason your going for this AM2/AM2+ cpu + mobo so you can use your old DDR2 ram?

I guess I'm not really understanding why your going that route. Even if the ram is the reason, you can pick up something newer and faster and more efficient for same or less money.

What is your budget for cpu/mbo/ram?

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Just looking for the cheapest possible solution for office use. And I want something that can withstand upgrades for the next decade. I know an AM3 system will serve that purpose starting out with an Athlon II X2 now and upgrading all the way to a Thuban maybe 10 years down the road. Just wanted to see how far I could stretch it. I have seen so many boards specify they are all of the above (AM2/AM2+/AM3). I figured I could get one of the those boards and get the cheapest possible AM2 chip to use for now.

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
your not gonna find anything that will last 10 years worth of upgrades, as it is the AM3 socket is dieing with the release of the new dozer chips, and intel changes sockets every 2 years.

for the most upgradeability i would save up some cash and wait till later this year for the new chips and assess your situation then.