Fateen4563

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
hi everyone i have recently built a pc with
cpu:amd athlon x2 3.0ghz
mobo:asus mlax v2 with 760g chipset
wd 160gb hdd 7200 rpm
ati radeon 5450 xfx
and i wanted to upgrade my hd to ssd just for speed and i am confused i checked there are sata 1 2 3 i believe 3 is the fastest one also the speed i've seen is the 6.0gb and 3.0 and i think my mobo only has the 3 one but does that matter i am totally confused

greddy23

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
you can either buy a sata II ssd, but i recommend you buy a sata III ssd simply because you never know in the future if you ever upgrade your motherboard that has sata III you will have an sata III SSD and you will take advantage of the 6gbps speed.

But sata III is backwards compatible,as far as what you need, you may need a 2.5 to 3.5 bracket to fit it in your case if theres no space for a 2.5 ssd.

Sata 1 = 1.5 gigabits/sec
Sata 2 = 3.0 gigabits/sec
Sata 6 = 6.0 gigabits/sec

It does not help that some call it sata 6 or sata 3(since some call sata 2 sata 3 in reference to its gigabit/sec rating.).

An SSD will give you a noticeable boost in loading just about anything.

As the above poster says, some drives do not come with the 3.5 -> 2.5 bracket. Other then that it uses the same cables as a normal SATA hard drive.

humphreybot

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
nope, according to amd, the 760 does not support sata3 (6gig). you have sata2 (3gig). what this means is you are looking at max reads and writes of 250 megs. which mean you would be wasting a 6gig type ssd. but you could get a controller card that will give you 6gig speeds, if you have an open pci-e slot

greddy23

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
yeah but are you planning to upgrade anytime soon? because i was thinking of an ssd but my motherboard only supported 3gps but i was still going to purchase a sata III 6gbps ssd simply because i knew if i ever upgraded i wont be screwed with an old slow ssd.

I knew though that i was going to have a fast ssd running at 3gps, but last month i decided to upgrade my motherboard and now i dont have to worry about that and come black friday ill be buying a sata iii ssd :)

Fateen4563

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
well no i first want to make sure that a ssd will work with my mobo i thought it would be as simple as getting plugging it in and of i go do u know any ssd that will work with my ssd preferably a 60 gb if u do could like send a link plz