Keylogger in my router

go4itornot

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I think i have a keylogger in my router. It is causing me a lot of problems! I just would like to know how i can detect if there is a keylogger in my router or not. Thanks.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
what you are saying doesn't make sense.
a keylogger is a program that logs every key being pushed on a keyboard, you can't have a keylogger in a router because 1) a router doesn't run/load programs and 2) a router has no keys to log.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
A router does run/load programs it has a bootstrap/bios, and an operating system on it, it has a processor,ram, rom, nvram , and flash memory. All a router is, is a small computer. But i very seriously doubt it has a key-logger or any other virus in it becuase of the fact of how a router stores its running and startup- configs

hairystuff

Distinguished
the only way you could have such an issue on your router is if you compiled your own firmware for your hardware and installed it (similar to OpenWRT), or obtained a 3rd party (hacked) firmware/rom for your hardware. But most likely if its a keylogger/trojon issue then I'd blame your computer.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I agree, Routers are dumb and only know how to route traffic, how and where in the form of packets.

Paranoia is free, but your computer is not.

*disclaimer after two classes of cisco hanging cable; typing in stacks of numbers I have had enough. I refuse to live my life toiling in some hole while everyone else hounds the help desk wondering where is the net?

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I agree sorry about the earlier comment I was commenting on the earlier post about routers not being able to load save or run program when in fact they do as I stated. What I unfortunately forgot to say, and I do apologize as I was rushing though that is no excuse for not posting the help I intended, is router is a very hard thing to corrupt. If it is corrupted it is because you left the default login name and password and someone hijacked your router or some part of the config was erased or altered, but it sounds to not be the case here.I agree with my colleagues above, if there is an infection, key logger or any type, your PC is to blame. I would do your basic trouble shooting and malware removal steps first. Once you have done those please post your results and maybe we can help you go from there. Once again I apologize for not finishing my post earlier.