Sign in with
Your question

HDD failure or something else?

Last response: in Storage
September 2, 2012 6:11:39 PM

Hi ... new here! :) 

I own a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook (couple of years old now) running Windows 7 Starter SP1. This machine comes with a 250GB drive (device manager calls it a 'WDC WD2500BEVT-22A23T0', but I don't know more than that).

3 days ago the machine was unfortunately dropped from a few feet onto a hard floor. I quickly checked it and everything still seemed to be running OK. However next morning the machine failed to boot up. When I used F12 (boot options), it seemed the hard disk was not being detected at all - it was completely missing from the boot list.

I tried booting again and this time everything worked fine! I ran the standard 'check disk' utility that comes with Windows (right-click C-drive, Properties, Tools, etc.). I didn't see the end of this process (as it takes a while), so I don't know what it reported unfortunately ...

I find that the machine will boot about 50% of the time, and that once booted it all seems fine (although once it did fail to come out of hibernation). I thought maybe there was a loose connection somewhere but the boot/no-boot happens even when the machine is on a desk and not touched/moved between attempts.

There is clearly something wrong, but is it likely to be a HDD problem, or something else?

More about : hdd failure

September 2, 2012 7:38:57 PM

Thanks!

Most stuff is already backed up, but some isn't so will do that now and run the tests tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you know how I get on ...
September 3, 2012 7:03:07 PM

Well, hopefully all Ok now. I ran the quick test, and it instantly came back with an error and recommended a full media scan - which I did. This finished with code 223 (which means errors found and fixed), so hopefully it is all OK now. Certainly, on the first reboot everything started OK, so we'll see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks for the help ...
!