upgrading from win2k to xp home

parker

Hello All,

I'm trying to upgrade a win2k machine to an xp home machine. The upgrade
advisor runs but does not give any info, it seems to just stop. If I try to
just install it tells me the path to upgrade is not valid. Any ideas why
this may occur? And what would be the next step?!

Hope this is the Right newsgroup

Thanks in Advance

Hi

You can't upgrade from W2K to XP Home Edition - only to XP Pro, I' afraid:

"Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a win2k machine to an xp home machine. The upgrade
> advisor runs but does not give any info, it seems to just stop. If I try
> to just install it tells me the path to upgrade is not valid. Any ideas
> why this may occur? And what would be the next step?!
>
> Hope this is the Right newsgroup
>
> Thanks in Advance

parker

Thank You Will, I'll try my XP Pro Version

> Hi
>
> You can't upgrade from W2K to XP Home Edition - only to XP Pro, I' afraid:
>
> "Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows"
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm trying to upgrade a win2k machine to an xp home machine. The upgrade
>> advisor runs but does not give any info, it seems to just stop. If I try
>> to just install it tells me the path to upgrade is not valid. Any ideas
>> why this may occur? And what would be the next step?!
>>
>> Hope this is the Right newsgroup
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

Just beware, if you are comptemplating using XP Pro CD with your Home XP
CD-Key it won't work either. CD-Keys are made for the type of XP they
belong to, as in OEM Pro key only works with OEM Pro CDs, Retail Upgrade XP
Home only works with Retail Upgrade XP Home CDs, Retail Full XP Pro only
works with Retail Full XP Pro CDs, Volume License only works with Volume
License CDs, etc, etc, etc

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

> Thank You Will, I'll try my XP Pro Version

> > Hi
> >
> > You can't upgrade from W2K to XP Home Edition - only to XP Pro, I'
afraid:

> > "Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows"
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups.
> >

> > "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to upgrade a win2k machine to an xp home machine. The
upgrade
> >> advisor runs but does not give any info, it seems to just stop. If I
try
> >> to just install it tells me the path to upgrade is not valid. Any
ideas
> >> why this may occur? And what would be the next step?!
> >>
> >> Hope this is the Right newsgroup
> >>
> >> Thanks in Advance

Hi Parker,

Just as Will said, we cannot upgrade from windows 2000 to Windows XP Home.
But we can upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro.

For your reference:

Upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Windows NT/2000
<http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp>

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know. I'm very glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang[MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

parker

Thank You All for the help and support!!

"Amanda Wang [MSFT]" <v-amanwa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Parker,
>
> Just as Will said, we cannot upgrade from windows 2000 to Windows XP Home.
> But we can upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows XP Pro.
>
> For your reference:
>
> Upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Windows NT/2000
> <http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp>
>
> Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
> free to let me know. I'm very glad to help you.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Amanda Wang[MSFT]
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
> support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
> situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
> Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
>
> This and other support options are available here:
> BCPS:
> https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
> Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
>
> If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
> Support page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.
> rights.

If you have any other questions or concerns in the future, please feel free
to let us know.

You are always welcome.