New SSD process

ryohei

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I just bought a new SATA 3 120gb ssd for my old computer which has windows xp. I have a spare copy of Windows 7 I'm willing to use, so Im trying to figure out the quickest way to
1. install the new hard drive
2. upgrade to windows 7
3. transfer all the data to the new drive
Having all the apps would be preferable but not necessary, the data is what I'm most concerned about.

What new hard drive? You said that you got a new SSD and that's not a hard drive.

I'd just install Windows 7 on the SSD and copy/paste the data over (make sure that your SATA ports are set to AHCI in the BIOS). Do you have programs that can't be installed on another computer?

the easy way is unplug the hard drive data cable so that windows 7 install cd does not see it or tuch the drive. Install windows 7 to the new ssd (make sure your sata ports set to achi mode). when windows 7 install is done power off the pc and plug the windows xp drive in. then in the bios set the ssd as first boot device. when you boot into windows 7 you have drive c and drive D: as long as the data on drive d is smaller then c just copy it over. when done moving the data to c. format the d: drive and make d the storage drive. install any programs or games that you only use once an a wile. use the smaller c for main programs and games but leave space for ssd to run trim and garbage clean up.