Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multiple monitors with Xfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 28, 2010 4:49:18 PM

A similar question to this one has been asked, but the forums I've read have given incomplete and/or unverified answers. Most were quite old, so hopefully this will be an easy question.

Here is what I have:

- motherboard with 3 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots that will run at 16/16/1 or 16/8/8
- two identical HD5770 Saphire Vapor-x cards
- Xfire bridge
- 1 24" monitor
- 1 19" monitor

Here is what I want to do:

- Be able to run windows desktop across both monitors
- Be able to run a graphic-intensive full screen game that's only on 1 monitor - like, say, Empire Total War, Fallout 3 on the larger monitor using xfire to enhance graphics while the second monitor remains active (windows desktop)
- Be able to run two-screen games such has Flight Simulator, Supreme Commander etc. on both monitors while getting the benefits of xfire on both monitors
- switch between desktop & games without having to adjust settings

So this question comes down to multi-monitor support in xfire.

Can I do this without getting a 3rd card?

If I were to use two identical nVidia cards in SLI, would I be able to do this?
August 5, 2010 6:08:22 PM

A lot of people have read this yet no replies. I have since learned that you can run 2 monitors in crossfire from 2 cards. Feel free to comment...
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2010 3:26:48 AM

What is your motherboard?
You can do CF on CF capable board.
You can do SLI on SLI capable board.
ANd you can do BOTH on CF and SLI capable board...

Yes, you can run dual monitor on crossfire setup.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 1:28:25 PM

wa1 said:
What is your motherboard?
You can do CF on CF capable board.
You can do SLI on SLI capable board.
ANd you can do BOTH on CF and SLI capable board...

Yes, you can run dual monitor on crossfire setup.

Asus P6X58D-E
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
August 7, 2010 2:18:07 AM

Well, since you already have 2x HD5770 then just try it... :) 

Your board is support both CF and SLI setup, so don't worry about that and yes you can do that without getting the 3rd card...
August 14, 2010 12:04:39 AM

Best answer selected by tom thumb.
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:31:48 AM

tom thumb said:
A similar question to this one has been asked, but the forums I've read have given incomplete and/or unverified answers. Most were quite old, so hopefully this will be an easy question.

Here is what I have:

- motherboard with 3 pci-e 2.0 x16 slots that will run at 16/16/1 or 16/8/8
- two identical HD5770 Saphire Vapor-x cards
- Xfire bridge
- 1 24" monitor
- 1 19" monitor

Here is what I want to do:

- Be able to run windows desktop across both monitors
- Be able to run a graphic-intensive full screen game that's only on 1 monitor - like, say, Empire Total War, Fallout 3 on the larger monitor using xfire to enhance graphics while the second monitor remains active (windows desktop)
- Be able to run two-screen games such has Flight Simulator, Supreme Commander etc. on both monitors while getting the benefits of xfire on both monitors
- switch between desktop & games without having to adjust settings

So this question comes down to multi-monitor support in xfire.

Can I do this without getting a 3rd card?

If I were to use two identical nVidia cards in SLI, would I be able to do this?

I have two 4850s with 2 monitors and am able to do most of things you listed pretty easily so it should be essentially the same for your setup.
-You can run the desktop across both monitors. The Taskbar will remain on one screen but you can stretch windows across both screens.
- I currently run games in full-screen on my right monitor, and while I can leave windows and apps open in the other monitor, I cant make them active w/o alt-tabbing. Granted, you could do this if you were gaming in window mode but Crossfire only works in full-screen mode.
- While I used to be able to game at 3360x1050 (stretched across 2 1680x1050 monitors) with XP, I believe that the only way to do this with Win 7 is with a Eyefinity card. My 4850 isn't Eyefinity ready but the 5770's are, so I'd imagine you would be able to run games across two screens.

Hope this helps.
m
l
!