Sign in with
Your question

What size power supply should I need?Also some more newbish questions.

Last response: in Components
September 3, 2010 5:16:29 PM

Hey everyone,

Right now here's my current set up:

PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8500
Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX

Basically I'm looking to do some upgrading. This was my first computer I've built, so I have some dumb questions too. Basically I want to upgrade my motherboard, video card, processor, and add an SSD drive. I can keep my current case right? I don't see why not. I can also keep my RAM as well and just swap it into my new motherboard, right?

Here's what I'm looking at replacing with my new setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
Video Card: XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready (Just one for now :p )
SSD: I'm not too sure on what SSD I want to pick up, but right now I'm looking at Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) and ntel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). Any thoughts on this?

My primary question is can my current PSU (OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V) handle my upgrades? If not, can you guys recommend me a PSU? Price isn't a HUGE issue but I'd like my best bang for my buck as these upgrades are already pretty expensive.

My secondary questions are:
1. The above listed ones...I can keep my current case and swap the RAM, right?
2. Will that new setup work? Any compatibility issues?
3. Is that a decent setup? :p  I'm primarily doing it for high end gaming.
September 3, 2010 6:01:19 PM

Watt per Watt, I think a 700W PSU should be just fine for your setup, with room to spare...

However, if you can fit it into the budget- I would definitely advise a PSU step-up. Your unit is pretty dated, is made by a very middling PSU Supplier, doesn't appear to be 80 Plus, and probably loses a bit of juice over the usage period.

I would stick to the 650W-750W range for you, in the event you ever want to add pieces, or Crossfire.

I'd take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well rated, and good value right now with the 15% off code, and a $20 MIR. You *just* missed a deal for another $10 off on it, but I still think the price is good in relation to other super top notch PSU's.
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 6:02:31 PM

Hello SoulVision;

The basic recommendation for a system with a HD 5970 video card is a 650W PSU. Source: Sapphire HD 5970: System Requirements tab
PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
650 Watt Power Supply is required.
850 Watt Power Supply is recommended for CrossFireX™ System.
1 X 75Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
1 X 150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
2 X 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required for CrossFireX™ system.
2 X 150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required for CrossFireX™ system.
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

Related resources
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 6:09:53 PM

SoulVision said:

1. The above listed ones...I can keep my current case and swap the RAM, right?
2. Will that new setup work? Any compatibility issues?
3. Is that a decent setup? :p  I'm primarily doing it for high end gaming.
What case?
The RAM will move right over into the ASUS P6X58D-E without a problem. You might want to install 6GB (3x2GB) initially.
Everything is looking good for compatibility with the new parts and the items coming forward (RAM, HDD, etc)
It's more than a decent system after the upgrade. Personally, I'd like to see a decent aftermarket cooler in the mix there.

Crucial RealSSD C300 or Corsair Force would be great choices for a SSD upgrade.

a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 6:18:08 PM

For a single 5970 I would go with a good 750 watt unit. Your current OCZ power supply should do just fine with your upgrade if you ever plan to crossfire you will have to upgrade.

September 3, 2010 6:21:00 PM

Thanks so much everyone for the answers. I might stick with this PSU just to see how it works, or if I have some extra money go ahead and upgrade to a better one; I wasn't aware that OCZ wasn't too good of quality.

As for the case I currently have a APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case; I leave the side open to help give my card some breathing room and what not. I guess getting a new case wouldn't be a huge deal, but figured if I could use this one why not.

As far as aftermarket coolers go, what would you reccomend? I've been trying to track down a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler because I heard they were good, but haven't been able to find many places that have em in stock. I'd certainly like to get one too if you guys could point me in the right direction!

Thanks as always!

Steve
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 6:25:06 PM

whats your budget for the cooler?
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 6:32:35 PM

Time to get the tape measure out and see if you can fit a 11.5" HD 5970 into that APEVIA X-CRUISER case.
Some of the HD 5970s are 12.2" long (Sapphire HD 5970 Overclock Edition being one).

I think the OCZ quality is 'good enough' since you do already own one. A new case might be a higher priority unless you want to consider two HD 5870s instead.
September 3, 2010 6:34:30 PM

I mean I'd prefer not to spend TOO much on a cooler :p  Not real sure on an exact budget but preferably I was thinking <100 maybe <150...
September 3, 2010 6:45:29 PM

I was told this processor can easily get to 4.0 (which would be sweet) but I'm not real good at that sort of stuff, not sure if I'd every actually do it.
September 3, 2010 6:52:22 PM

Thanks so much WR2...this may seem like a dumb question but would you be able to tell me how a water cooler actually works? I always thought they were a cool idea, but what do I have to do? What do THEY even do? :p 
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 7:01:36 PM

SoulVision said:
Thanks so much WR2...this may seem like a dumb question but would you be able to tell me how a water cooler actually works? I always thought they were a cool idea, but what do I have to do? What do THEY even do? :p 
I could tell you - but I wouldn't do as good a job as the guys over @ LegitReviews did when they reviewed the Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit. It's worth reading.
September 3, 2010 7:18:18 PM

Dude, that was an amazing read. I'm sold, just added the H50 and two Noctua NF-P12 fans to my cart. I'll probably have to get a bigger case though, huh? I have no clue when it comes to case shopping, how to know what will fit my motherboard. I think I'd prefer to gave a "bigger" case so that I have more room, but then how will everything reach each other? (PSU hookups, sata cables, all that fun stuff). Anything I need to know when case shopping to know if my stuff will fit?
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 7:28:08 PM

most mid towers are enough for the modern pc builder but its a personal choice on looks
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 7:30:36 PM

Most any of the premium mid-tower gaming cases should have everything covered.
One example: COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper
If you look at the customer feedback/reviews and do a search on terms like 5970 or Corsair H50 you'll find that Storm Sniper owners have reported the HD 5970 fits with room to spare, that the Corsair H50 installs without a problem and they overall satisfaction with the case.

You can do the same type of thing with any case that catches your eye.
September 3, 2010 7:35:09 PM

Sounds great, thanks so much guys, you've all been a great help. One last question I forgot to ask you WR2, why do you recommend initially only seating 6GB of my RAM as opposed to all 8?

Steve
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 3, 2010 7:40:17 PM

Due to the triple channel nature of the 1366 motherboard like the ASUS P6X58D-E.
RAM is usually installed in sets of 3. But once you get everything setup and running stable, have done some testing, then you can add that single extra stick of 2GB and see how that affects overall performance with some more testing.
!