Reason for fried PSU?

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Last week I put together a system with a Corsair TX750W PSU. After I finished assembling it, I plugged it in, and when I switched on the PSU a low ominous pop came from inside of it, I know because I was right next to the back of the PSU. I figured something must have gone wrong, but even so when I pressed the power switch on the computer it turned on fine.

After 2 days during which I installed the operating system and any programs I needed, I tried to turn the PC on one morning, it booted up, but then it kept cycling through the first 5 seconds of POST. After resetting the system, nothing booted up anymore but the fans inside were still running. I powered the system off, and when I tried to power it back on it didn't work. After this I turned the PSU off, plugged the PSU into a different socket, and when I turned the PSU on it fried, there was a very lowd pop accompanied by a spark that came out of the power supply and my house's circuit breaker tripped.

What I'm wondering is if it could have been anything other than a manufacturing defect. For one thing, the CPU connector has 4+4 pins, I only needed the main 4, but I couldn't bend the remaining cable for the other 4 pins in any way without feeling safe about it, and I could only leave the connector touching a condenser. I fee like I'm asking a stupid question, but was this a bad thing to do?

As a side note, I've already tested the remaining components in the system with another PSU and they work.

Solution
Its pretty hard to fry a PSU, i dont think what you did was the cause of it. To have tripped your houses circuit breaker implies a failure on the AC side of the PSU, not the DC side that powers your components. Its pretty hard to cause a failure on the AC side of the unit with the wiring that runs to the components, i doubt it was your fault.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The replacement isn't an issue, I've already resolved it and the PSU is currently on its way to be delivered. I was merely wondering if it could have fried out of my fault, so that I don't do it again a second time.

Its pretty hard to fry a PSU, i dont think what you did was the cause of it. To have tripped your houses circuit breaker implies a failure on the AC side of the PSU, not the DC side that powers your components. Its pretty hard to cause a failure on the AC side of the unit with the wiring that runs to the components, i doubt it was your fault.

Solution