Sign in with
Your question

Should I continue with my built?

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2010 6:45:36 PM

Hi everyone, I was the in process of starting my build for an i7 980X or the to be released 970 when I came across an i5 for sale. It was used for about 6 months for light gaming and the price was too good to pass up.

i5-750
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
4 Gig Corsair XMS3 1600C9 DDR3
500Gig Seagate 7200rpm 16MB
BFG 512MB GTS 250
DVD Burner
Media Reader
eMachine 21.5" LCD
Logitech 2.1 speakers
Nice surge protector
Cheap 450W PS
No OS
$500

With this setup I am going to re-use my still shrinkwrapped backup 600w power supply. I have several 1TB Seagate drives that I will set up a 3 or 4 drives RAID 0. I also bought another 4Gig of matching Corsair RAM to double up to 8Gig. The case is a Prestigio gamer case and prior to this I have never heard of it. The quality isn't bad but it only supports 3 internal hard drives.

I bought a Lian-Li PC-A70F full tower case and Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in anticipation of my i7-build (before I bought the i5). I don't know if the Hyper 212+ will fit in the mid-tower.

I am casual gamer, playing Age of Empires 3 and Civilization 4. I am a software developer in C# and do quite a bit of web browsing. I am pretty sure the above system will work for quite a few years until the next generation of CPU is out. Just that the micro-ATX board will look funky in such a large case.

My current system is 805D OC to 3.2 and I am dying to move from it. It is slow to do google maps.

Should I continue with my i7 build? Or save the money for future? Should I move the i5 to my full tower? I can't decide. I know the i5 is more than adequate for my need but the funky look...

More about : continue built

July 6, 2010 8:19:14 PM

Not quite sure what you want from us.

You want us to tell you if you think something is ugly enough to warrant a new case?
July 6, 2010 8:57:32 PM

I just want to know for sure if i5 is enough for me for 3+ years? Is it better to keep what I have and bypass 1366 until Sandy Bridge? From what I read i5-750 is a quite good processor, and I don't think I have that much to gain for now with an i7. thx.
Related resources
July 7, 2010 3:13:38 PM

Yes I5 will last you for several years gaming and web browsing.
July 7, 2010 4:17:48 PM

Keep the i5 and don't keep looking into the case and the mobo.
!