Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I broke my external hard drive. Can I bring it back to life?

Last response: in Storage
September 3, 2012 11:11:26 AM

I recently bought a new 1TB external hard drive and stupidly moved my computer too fast and the drive fell on the floor. Needless to say it no longer works. It makes a clicking noise, lights up for about 10 secs when I plugged it into my computer than dies. I don't need to recover any info on it, but I just want it to work, as I just bought it. Can it be fixed or am I better off buying a new one. Thanks for your help.

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 3, 2012 3:02:30 PM

ajavery said:
I recently bought a new 1TB external hard drive and stupidly moved my computer too fast and the drive fell on the floor. Needless to say it no longer works. It makes a clicking noise, lights up for about 10 secs when I plugged it into my computer than dies. I don't need to recover any info on it, but I just want it to work, as I just bought it. Can it be fixed or am I better off buying a new one. Thanks for your help.

Hi...

Since *I don't need to recover any info on it, but I just want it to work, as I just bought it*, it would be in your best interest to return for exchange. I would also recommend that you do not provide details as to *what happened* to the drive as it may void the warranty.
a c 104 G Storage
September 3, 2012 4:08:55 PM

Hello,
When you just hear clicking in a HDD, it means it is failing or has failed, for whatever reason.
Were you able to RMA the drive and get a replacement?
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 1:20:02 AM

Best answer selected by ajavery.
m
l
September 14, 2012 1:20:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. luckily I was able to exchange it for a new one even though the seller knew that I broke it. Lucky :) 
m
l
!