Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CMOS Clock loses its settings, new batttery installed

Last response: in Motherboards
April 7, 2011 3:14:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been a reader of this forum for a while and now I am in need of your help and assistance, please!

I am getting the following message when I boot the PC:

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting
CMOS Date/Time not set
Press F1 to run SETUP
F2 to load default values and continue

I have replaced the battery on the motherboard hoping that would fix the problem but it has not done so.

If I go into the BIOS and set the time and date the system does not remember the settings and the same window appears on rebooting. If I press F2 and continue with the default values everything is fine until I come to reboot again.

When the computer is booted and running, I cannot detect any change in the PC's behaviour, so I am not sure what hardware component is failing.

I have searched this Forum and in Google for solutions and have been totally bewildered by some of the solutions proposed. I hope if I confine my search for help to this forum that I might be able to get some clear advice on how best to tackle this problem. If anyone is going to suggest I 'flash the BIOS' or anything along these lines, please bear in mind I do not have a clue what this means, and so if you are able to offer some advice on exactly how I do this, I will be very grateful.

I should say that the computer has run very well for a long time and no new hardware was installed just prior to the onset of this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you guys in due course,

Thanks and best wishes,

Roger

April 7, 2011 3:15:24 AM

Sorry, I omitted to mention it is a P5Q SE Asus motherboard :) 

Best solution

April 11, 2011 8:34:19 PM

Hi,

Without going into details, I have found the cause of my problem - I had left a USB DiscStakker plugged in even though I removed the software to eliminate it as a possible cause. Once I unplugged the device, my problem disappeared,

Regards,

Roger
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 11:22:21 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
!