PCIe 2.0 and PCIe

What exactly is the difference? I know that the bandwidth is wider on PCIe 2.0 but are there any other key differences?

Also, if you plug in a PCIe 2.0 graphics card into a motherboard with only a PCIe slot, what will happen? Does the performance of the card suffer? Are it's graphics capabilities limited or something? Or are there no setbacks whatsoever?

Thanks and sorry for being a nub D:
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pcie pcie
  1. Best answer
    By PCI-E, I'm assuming you're referring to PCI-E 1.0/1.1?

A PCI-E 2.0 graphics card should work in a PCI-E 1.0/1.1 slot, with a few exceptions (although that should only be the case for certain motherboard and certain graphic card combinations, either that or that's with PCI-E 2.1 cards sorry, memory's a bit fuzzy right now) and should work without any problems. The performance of the card should not suffer, should the PCI-E 1.0/1.1 slot run at the very least x8 mode (equivalent to x4 PCI-E 2.0, which is suprisingly not much of a bottleneck for most of today's cards).
  2. Yeah I was referring to the 1.0 slots. I plan to run an HD 6850 PCIe 2.1 in the slot so will that be an issue?
  3. I'm not sure. It should work, I'm thinking its the HD 5000 series with the compatibility issue, but I'm not 100% sure sorry.
  4. Mine will be a Gigabyte 6850, any thoughts there?
  5. Best answer selected by bazicdude.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics Cards