I inadvertantly changed the file type of a proprietary program to an exe
within the program folder. Now I cannot read the files on one computer. I
deleted the folder and copied it form another computer. That didn't work. I
then looked for the file type in the registry and the only place I could
locate it; there was nothing there for me to change. I tried changing
through the Properties dialog. There is no option to change to the generic
"unknown". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled. When I replaced the
files with those from the other computer, they immediately took on the
incorrect properties from before. Maybe I needed to reboot after
uninstalling. I don't know.

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

The easiest method; While in Explorer, right click on a file of the type in
question, then choose "Open With", "Choose Program", then choose and check
the box for "Always use this program....."

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Asussertown" wrote:
|I inadvertantly changed the file type of a proprietary program to an exe
| within the program folder. Now I cannot read the files on one computer. I
| deleted the folder and copied it form another computer. That didn't work.
| then looked for the file type in the registry and the only place I could
| locate it; there was nothing there for me to change. I tried changing
| through the Properties dialog. There is no option to change to the generic
| "unknown". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled. When I replaced the
| files with those from the other computer, they immediately took on the
| incorrect properties from before. Maybe I needed to reboot after
| uninstalling. I don't know.
|
| --

| "Eliminate annoying spam!
| My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
|
| http://www.ihatespam.net

No, that's the problem. I did that once before. I need to get back to
"undetermined". This is a proprietary program. I'll look for another option
within the program folder meanwhile.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> The easiest method; While in Explorer, right click on a file of the type
> in
> question, then choose "Open With", "Choose Program", then choose and check
> the box for "Always use this program....."
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Asussertown" wrote:
> |I inadvertantly changed the file type of a proprietary program to an exe
> | within the program folder. Now I cannot read the files on one computer.
> | deleted the folder and copied it form another computer. That didn't
> work.
> | then looked for the file type in the registry and the only place I could
> | locate it; there was nothing there for me to change. I tried changing
> | through the Properties dialog. There is no option to change to the
> generic
> | "unknown". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled. When I replaced
> the
> | files with those from the other computer, they immediately took on the
> | incorrect properties from before. Maybe I needed to reboot after
> | uninstalling. I don't know.
> |
> | --
> |

> | ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> | "Eliminate annoying spam!
> | My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
> |
> | http://www.ihatespam.net

An example. From a command prompt;
assoc .zzz=
to remove any file type association from zzz

--

"Asussertown" wrote:
| No, that's the problem. I did that once before. I need to get back to
| "undetermined". This is a proprietary program. I'll look for another
option
| within the program folder meanwhile.
|
| --

| "Eliminate annoying spam!
| My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
|
| http://www.ihatespam.net
|

| "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
| > The easiest method; While in Explorer, right click on a file of the type
| > in
| > question, then choose "Open With", "Choose Program", then choose and
check
| > the box for "Always use this program....."
| >
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
| > Microsoft Certified Professional
| > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
| > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
| >
| > "Asussertown" wrote:
| > |I inadvertantly changed the file type of a proprietary program to an
exe
| > | within the program folder. Now I cannot read the files on one
computer.
| > | deleted the folder and copied it form another computer. That didn't
| > work.
| > | then looked for the file type in the registry and the only place I
could
| > | locate it; there was nothing there for me to change. I tried changing
| > | through the Properties dialog. There is no option to change to the
| > generic
| > | "unknown". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled. When I replaced
| > the
| > | files with those from the other computer, they immediately took on the
| > | incorrect properties from before. Maybe I needed to reboot after
| > | uninstalling. I don't know.
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > |
| > | ---------------------------------------------------------------------
| > | "Eliminate annoying spam!
| > | My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
| > |
| > | http://www.ihatespam.net
| > |
| > |
| > |

thanks.

> An example. From a command prompt;
> assoc .zzz=
> to remove any file type association from zzz
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Asussertown" wrote:
> | No, that's the problem. I did that once before. I need to get back to
> | "undetermined". This is a proprietary program. I'll look for another
> option
> | within the program folder meanwhile.
> |
> | --
> |

> | ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> | "Eliminate annoying spam!
> | My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
> |
> | http://www.ihatespam.net
> |

> | "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> | > The easiest method; While in Explorer, right click on a file of the
> type
> | > in
> | > question, then choose "Open With", "Choose Program", then choose and
> check
> | > the box for "Always use this program....."
> | >
> | > --
> | > Regards,
> | >
> | > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> | > Microsoft Certified Professional
> | > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> exe
> computer.
> | > work.
> could
> changing
> | > generic
> replaced
> | > the
> the
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Your program won't care. Filetypes is used by EXPLORER, to decide icons to show and what program will open it if dbl clicked, not by programs. It sounds to me like you renamed the file.

"Asussertown" <DROPsusertown@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:xZednRiL_KtemaTfRVn-3g@adelphia.com...
> No, that's the problem. I did that once before. I need to get back to
> "undetermined". This is a proprietary program. I'll look for another option
> within the program folder meanwhile.

> "Eliminate annoying spam!
> My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
>
> http://www.ihatespam.net
>

> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>> The easiest method; While in Explorer, right click on a file of the type
>> in
>> question, then choose "Open With", "Choose Program", then choose and check
>> the box for "Always use this program....."
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Asussertown" wrote:
>> |I inadvertantly changed the file type of a proprietary program to an exe
>> | within the program folder. Now I cannot read the files on one computer.
>> | deleted the folder and copied it form another computer. That didn't
>> work.
>> | then looked for the file type in the registry and the only place I could
>> | locate it; there was nothing there for me to change. I tried changing
>> | through the Properties dialog. There is no option to change to the
>> generic
>> | "unknown". I uninstalled the program and reinstalled. When I replaced
>> the
>> | files with those from the other computer, they immediately took on the
>> | incorrect properties from before. Maybe I needed to reboot after
>> | uninstalling. I don't know.
>> |
>> | --

>> | "Eliminate annoying spam!
>> | My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."
>> |
>> | http://www.ihatespam.net

You're welcome.