Can't Access User Account Controls

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi All

I am having troubl with changeing anything in my User Account Controls. Every time I try to access the tab I just get an error message saying that "Windows cannot find" followed by a long line of numbers. I am a little concerned as I noticed, according to Belarc Advisor, that I suddenly have a mysterious user on my windows called "UpdatusUser" and has apparently logged on 399 times!

Any Ideas??

Thanks

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Yeah thats what I thought but to be honest I have heard bad stories about people re-formatting theie PC's and then finding out that Microsoft then block the Windows install saying the copy is counterfeit, even though they have purchased it from PC World!

Sounds like someone else has taken control of your computer.
The lesser evil (by FAR) is doing a OS re-install to get rid of a serious security risk.

You might need to contact MS so they can confirm you have a genuine license but they're pretty good and pretty fast at getting that done.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Ok thanks for that I will call MS to varify. What a bummer I have so much stuff on here and nothing to back it all up on, oh well. But thanks for the advice