Can't Access User Account Controls

Tags:
  • Security
  • Error Message
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 1, 2011 4:53:00 PM

Hi All

I am having troubl with changeing anything in my User Account Controls. Every time I try to access the tab I just get an error message saying that "Windows cannot find" followed by a long line of numbers. I am a little concerned as I noticed, according to Belarc Advisor, that I suddenly have a mysterious user on my windows called "UpdatusUser" and has apparently logged on 399 times!

Any Ideas??

Thanks

More about : access user account controls

a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2011 5:20:58 PM

Wow.

Something is totally messed up there. Would a complete re-format be out of the question? If not...I would do that.
November 1, 2011 5:29:50 PM

Yeah thats what I thought but to be honest I have heard bad stories about people re-formatting theie PC's and then finding out that Microsoft then block the Windows install saying the copy is counterfeit, even though they have purchased it from PC World!
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
November 1, 2011 5:34:45 PM

Sounds like someone else has taken control of your computer.
The lesser evil (by FAR) is doing a OS re-install to get rid of a serious security risk.

You might need to contact MS so they can confirm you have a genuine license but they're pretty good and pretty fast at getting that done.
November 1, 2011 5:37:57 PM

Ok thanks for that I will call MS to varify. What a bummer I have so much stuff on here and nothing to back it all up on, oh well. But thanks for the advice
a b $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
November 1, 2011 5:41:26 PM

You can save your stuff... do that before you go for the OS re-install.
a b $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
November 1, 2011 5:42:33 PM

An external USB hard drive makes an excellent backup device and they're not very expensive.
November 1, 2011 5:52:03 PM

thanks again
a b $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
November 1, 2011 5:54:40 PM

Let us know how you make out.
And what, if anything, you find out about that malware infection.
November 1, 2011 6:00:01 PM

Ok will do, many thanks