Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bios vs HW Monitor Differ in temp reads.

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2010 10:44:42 PM

Why is that in Hardware Monitor it says my i7 920 is like 30-35Celcius idle during hot summer while in Bios if I get in it says its like 45C. Now my question is, which is more accurate...?...what causes is this problem?...What should be done about this?
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2010 11:18:54 PM

Is there any way to correct the problem..?...should I flash my Bios to the latest version?
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 3, 2010 11:48:07 PM

Quote:
Bios is more accurate.

Actually that not 100% true. I've been corrected on that a long time ago on this forum that as it not always the case.

Some times you can get a lower reading that you should be seen because the MB manufactures "tweaked" the sensor setting. Giving you what appears to be "better" to get more sales.

Although it's normal to have the bios temps readings higher than what you see in windows. My 5 year old pentium 4 system (478 socket) even does this.

My guesses to why so:

1. The bios reading the cpu case and not the cores (if thats what you been reading is the cores on the temp programs in windows)

2. the cpu is not in idle and/or the power saving features is not active (speed-step from intel for example)

3. windows programs can be wrong.

so there more to it when reading temps in the bios.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 12:22:45 AM

Well, in HW monitor, there are temps of each individual core and then there is a temp for the actual CPU. In HW monitor in windows its often like 10degrees cooler then in Bios. Do you think I should flash it or something..?. People say HW monitor is really good and reliable but the temp difference is pretty big from Bios. So which should I believe? And is there any application that gives the highest possible accuracy in measurement of temps?
Score
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 12:26:59 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well, in HW monitor, there are temps of each individual core and then there is a temp for the actual CPU. In HW monitor in windows its often like 10degrees cooler then in Bios. Do you think I should flash it or something..?. People say HW monitor is really good and reliable but the temp difference is pretty big from Bios. So which should I believe? And is there any application that gives the highest possible accuracy in measurement of temps?

Really i would guess #2 from above the most as even as other people and I see it with there/my computer.

So i wouldn't be to worried about the whole situation. I would just recommend core temp or real temp and monitor that way like everyone else.

It easier for other people to identify temp problems when people use the same temp program as themselfs. ;) 
Score
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2010 7:37:52 PM

Best answer selected by blackhawk1928.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
September 10, 2010 8:02:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!