Sign in with
Your question

Disk boot failure on reboot when installing operating system

Last response: in Motherboards
April 7, 2011 11:58:40 AM

Hello!

First of all, sorry for my poor English....

I purchased a second hand Supermicro server without installed OS. My first intention was to install win XP, but the reboot during the installation process did not happen correctly and I nerver could install XP.

I found a description of the whole installation process on the Supermicro web site. They talk about a diskette for SCSI support (press F6 to install third party....) and a CDRom I must insert on reboot.

But obviously, I don't have the diskette and the CDRom. I sent a mail to the Supermicro support, they answered me by giving an URL on their FTP site. Fine, but I see plenty of links for different CD's and I don't know which one is the right one.

And there is no link to a diskette....

I tried to install Debian, but I had a "DISK BOOT FAILURE" message on the first reboot after the installation of Debian (which went fine, as far as I can see)

My last chance was to use the serial number of the server to find the correct firmware on the Supermicro site, but it seems it is not possible.

What could I do to find the right firmware CD and the right diskette?

Here is what I know about the server:
- SUPERMICRO SUPERSERVER 5013C
- INTEL PENTIUM 4 3000 MHz
- 1536 Mb Ram
- 80 GB HDD IDE-7.2K
- Serial: S5013C L 15600066

This server is really driving me nuts :pt1cable:  , and it is near to be put into orbit :fou: 

Thanks in advance for your help,
Yan

April 7, 2011 8:01:06 PM

Hi!

Answering to myself (always been a little schizophrenic...)

So, after playing with the BIOS options, and a large number of reboots later, I finally sort of disabled the Intel Boot Agent by modifying the boot sequence, and I finally got the system to detect the IDE drive by disabling the SATA.

And it now works, no more disk boot failure. The server won't be put in orbit. It is happy, and me too.

Yan
Related resources
!