Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DDR3 overclocked 1600, would adding another 8 gig help?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
April 7, 2011 12:56:28 PM

I have installed in my mobo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3.0 Kingston 4GB X's 2 Value RAM 1033 overclocked to 1600 and the voltage set @1.65 - as low as it will go and run stable - and wondering if installing another 2 4GB sticks of the same in it would make any difference in game play? I have a Phenom II 965 125w overclocked to 4.0GHz with a Noctua NH-D14 cooling it, and 2 Sapphire HD 5770 in Crossfire, all being pushed by Antec's NEW Truepower 750w PSU. My 3DMark advantage is in the mid P16,000's. I know I have everything maxed out is why I need to know if more RAM will give me a noticable difference. I am considering selling my 965 and going up to the T1100 6 core. I have read everything I can find in Tom's about adding Ram, but can't find anything about DDR3 overclocked value ram. So.....any and all help is greatly appreciated. This started out as a budget gaming rig for under $650 and am creeping up to $1000, but this thing flies. But as usual with all us builders, we want more! :o 

More about : ddr3 overclocked 1600 adding gig

a c 251 } Memory
April 7, 2011 1:23:07 PM

8GB for gaming is plenty and adding another 8GB would not be worth the investment.
m
l
April 7, 2011 2:33:42 PM

rolli59 said:
8GB for gaming is plenty and adding another 8GB would not be worth the investment.

That is what I thought. Overkill. But do you think running it 1.65v is too much? It is rated @ 1.5, but has a lifetime warranty. It wants to run @ 1.8, but I backed it down in AMD OD.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 251 } Memory
April 7, 2011 3:18:14 PM

1.65 should be fine! It is not unusual to see ram rated with a voltage spread of 0.2 volts. Even Kingston recommends upping their 1.65volt HyperX ram up to 1.7 - 1.9volts on AMD dual channel systems.
April 7, 2011 4:13:09 PM

Best answer selected by pjmoses.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 7, 2011 4:16:26 PM

While you are running 8 gigs stable, you may have a problem running that OC with 16 gigs installed.

That said, there is no gain going from 8 to 16 gigs for games). Going from 4 -> 8 gigs only results in a small gain.

I currently have 16 gigs in my rig and had NO problems going from 8 -> 16, But I'm using DDR3 1600 CL 7 @ 1.6 V, which is rated values and what I'm set to. ONLY reason I went from 8 -> 16 gigs is so I could install an 8 gig Ramdrive (about 10 x faster than an SSD).
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:54:57 PM

RetiredChief said:
While you are running 8 gigs stable, you may have a problem running that OC with 16 gigs installed.

That said, there is no gain going from 8 to 16 gigs for games). Going from 4 -> 8 gigs only results in a small gain.

I currently have 16 gigs in my rig and had NO problems going from 8 -> 16, But I'm using DDR3 1600 CL 7 @ 1.6 V, which is rated values and what I'm set to. ONLY reason I went from 8 -> 16 gigs is so I could install an 8 gig Ramdrive (about 10 x faster than an SSD).

Tell me more about this 8 gig RAM drive setup. How is it done and what purpose? What do you have on the 8 extra gigs? OS, game, what?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 9, 2011 5:16:21 PM

The primary purpose is for a 'Scratch File' so any files that are accessed to your HDD/SSD can be put there. The most common uses are Photoshop 'Scratch Disk' or in SQL the 'Temp' or 'Working' files, you can even put you Browser Temp files there.

Until you see the differences it's impossible to explain -- everything put there is 'instant' access. However, I don't recommend the OS Page File there, but I know plenty of people that do.

RamDisk seems to be the least problematic -> http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php
m
l
April 9, 2011 5:54:05 PM

jaquith said:
The primary purpose is for a 'Scratch File' so any files that are accessed to your HDD/SSD can be put there. The most common uses are Photoshop 'Scratch Disk' or in SQL the 'Temp' or 'Working' files, you can even put you Browser Temp files there.

Until you see the differences it's impossible to explain -- everything put there is 'instant' access. However, I don't recommend the OS Page File there, but I know plenty of people that do.

RamDisk seems to be the least problematic -> http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

Are my games going to be helped at all? I am already running 2 Sapphire HD5770's with Phenom 965 OC'd to 4.0GHz and my current 4GB x 2 Kingston 1333 ram OC'd to 1600 with the voltage upped to 1.65. My mobo will not let me change any timing settings and boot up. I thought I was getting a good one in a ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB 3.0 w/6.0 SATA III. Would I just not be better off adding a fast SSD over my HDD's @ 7400rpm's? Or is it worth adding 2 more of the Kingston Value ram 1333 w/timings stuck @ 9-9-9-24 and gettin ramdisk for them? This is all new to me so that is why I am asking. The price is about the same adding SSD vs. software and 2 more RAM. I will have a lot more space on an SSD though. Gaming and video editing is about all I do besides surf. BTW, thanks for all the info as I love to learn new stuff.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 9, 2011 6:24:01 PM

Nope the RAM Disk will be no help on games, unless you installed the entire Game on the RAM Disk - the map and load progress screens would fly. If your video editing App has a 'Scratch Disk' then yep a RAM Disk is a nice thing as long as you don't run out of space ;) 

Yep, SSD makes a huge 'overall' difference and that's where you should prioritize your money first, but getting a small SSD, one smaller than 120+GB, is more a PITA than a gain. RAM, anything greater than 6~8+GB of RAM adds nothing for a Game and then the difference above 4GB ranges from 1%~3% on 'most' games. Nice article -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...
m
l
April 9, 2011 7:22:59 PM

Got it figured out. I am just going to stay with the 8 gigs of ram and get a good SATA III SSD for OS, games and certain utilities. I will use my other 3 drives for files and programs that I don't care to have running super fast. But I will go with the 120GB SSD. I think that should store the primary stuff I want to access fast. Thanks again, you have been a great help. See ya down the road!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 9, 2011 7:38:29 PM

Also, if you do a lot of Rendering like video editing -- the more the RAM the faster the rendering will go and the GPU has a big impact with rendering times, so it depends upon the App and GPU. Example Premier -> http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Good Luck! :) 
m
l
!