Your question

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

Tags:
  • New Build
  • AMD
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2010 9:56:39 PM

I'm not a HC Gamer, just play occasionally, and use compu mostly for presentations in PP and Excel. Nonetheless, I am building a new system and want opinions on compatibility.

Case: CM HAF 932
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T
Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD]
Memory: Corsair XMS3 Dominator 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 1GB
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H -- AMD 890GX (Crossfire/ usb 3.0 / I believe SATA 3)
PSU: Casegears 650w ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency
HDD: 1 TB 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s (not sure if to go with WD or Seagate)
Optical: LG 8X BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo
Optical: LG 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Network: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

I'm really concerned about MoBo and CPU, thank you in advance.

More about : amd phenom 1055t

July 6, 2010 10:38:27 PM

Well FIRST... you do not need that Killer Xeno network card. Tomshardware did review of that card versus the onboard network on a gigabyte motherboard and ther was no difference. So take the money that card costs, and bump up to a 6gb RAM KIT!

As to your concerns abotu the mobo and CPU, I'm not sure what you're concerned about? That's a great setup, it's actually overkill for creating presentations.
m
l
a b À AMD
July 6, 2010 11:03:32 PM

If you're not a gamer, are you overclocking? Why the liquid cooling system?
You don't need to overclock for PP and excel.
Actually, you could use a netbook for those things, and it would be portable for giving the presentations.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2010 2:30:28 AM

Thank you both. I changed the network card to an upgrade in memory 8gb and the graphics card to a ATI 5830 1gb. I laid out the system to be current and easy to upgrade over time. I hope I accomplished this?
m
l
July 8, 2010 10:53:20 AM

I'll be honest, not sure why lowrider wants you to have more RAM, 4gb should be more than plenty for all you do including gaming.

If you are not hard core gaming I would drop the liquid cooling - no need for anything beyond the stock cooler that comes with processor unless you are OCing

Change the RAM to 4gb 1600mhz CL7 G Skill as it is great RAM.

Drop the case down to a HAF 922, no real reason to spend more on the 932

In fact, nothing you have mentioned aside from some gaming requires anything more than a good notebook, which means in reality, gaming is the biggest performance hog of your Desktop. If that is the case then I would:

Drop the Hexcore processor to a x4 955 as you need no more than 4 cores for gaming.

Drop the HDD to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, it is only 3gb/s, but in reality for an HDD the 6gb/s offers nothing significant, it is mainly for if you get a Solid State Drive in the future.

The motherboard is probably overkill - you are not a hardcore gamer and therefore will you ever be using Crossfire? There are cheaper boards that will offer you USB 3 and SATA 6gb/s

With the money saved on these adjustments you could get a 5850 and still probably have spare money.
m
l
!