FunMan

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004
hello, i want to become invisible in the lan but not losing my internet access..
is it possible to do this ???
all computers access the internet through a linux server.
and all computers have windows 98 ..

thx

Griphus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
depends on what you mean by invisible. Who do you want to be invisible from, what do you define invisible as. I prefer to be inaccessible as oppose to invisible. To me, invisible means you can still be accessed, but you have a little camoflauge so that the typical home network user won't see you.

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
i figured out how to do this accidently. if you have a firewall and don't "registed" any other ip address (even in your sub net) then other machines wont be able to even ping you.

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.

Icedout

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2003
I'm taking shot in the dark here but I think he is trying to surf around the web at work and not been seen by others monitoring the network, or something to that effect. If that is the case this is really your boss and you need to step into my office. ON the downside of reality it would have to be internal settings, ghosting your machine from regular joes on the internet is one thing but if its a work setup that likes to monitor you there are so many programs out there that allow them to see what your doing either while your doing it or later when your not.

Life is like a bolt of lighting...unless you make and impact you won't be noticed. And believe me if you kick that tiger in the a.s.s you better have a plan for its teeth.

RichPLS

Champion
Great answer, boss, I was just asking as a favor for a friend...