Nikki_49

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I've been running a 1 to hard drive using windows xp - suddenly I've got no space left (even for my programs). It says I've got 12.6GB total space with 11.5GB used. Why?

I've downloaded everything onto my 1 to external hd & the amount of space used doesn't even show on the capacity circle.

I've thought I could reformat but XP won't let me ... it says that the info on my boot disk is older than the version on my computer. Can anyone help, PLEASE!!!

ram1009

Distinguished
If you have all your data saved to an external HDD and you have an XP install disk you can reformat your internal HDD by just inserting the XP disk into the drive and starting the computer. You need to make sure the drive containing the XP disk is first in the boot sequence list in the BIOS. The install program will give you the option to format the HDD.

Nikki_49

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

XP won't let me ... it says the info on my original disk is older than the info on my computer & therefore just totally ignores the command.

Nikki_49

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks for your time.

Ok if I use my disk & click on install - the message says ...

setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd.
Warning: if you decide to delete the newer version of windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files & settings cannot be reversed. ...

but every other option on the cd works.

If I reboot with the cd in the player. It asks ...
press any key to reboot from cd, if I do Windows opens normally, if I don't the page that says safe mode, blahdy blah won't let me chose any option other start window normally & opens windows as before. What am I donig wrong?