Building around today's Shell Shocker?

KevinTMC

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I'll be putting up a more complete post soon asking for a review and advice on my new build. But first, a time-sensitive question.

Newegg currently has a Shell Shocker offer (http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-441333-_-07062010) for:

* MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard (reg. $167.99)

* AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX (reg. $159.99)

Today: $257.98*
*After $20.00 Mail-In Rebate

I'd been planning on putting together a system largely oriented towards gaming, shooting for around $700 total (not including monitor or other peripherals). My question is, is this a hot deal that is also compatible with my other plans and should be snagged, or could I find a more suitable or cost-effective solution for my purposes if I keep researching and shopping around?

The pieces I've already got are an Antec Three Hundred case and Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W power supply (from another attractive Newegg combo deal I've already jumped on). Leaning towards Radeon HD 5770 card for video solution. Other details still up in the air.

Any input, feedback, or experience with the MSI motherboard that's on sale would be much appreciated.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Actually thats a really good deal, thats already gone. So I hope you jumped on it while you could.

A 790FX board will have everything you need for a good AM3 Chip like the 955 and a 16x/16x set up to crossfire later on. If I was going to do a build, I would have jumped all over it.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
+1 on the 790fx full scalable graphics capabilities.. (best crossfire amd chipset right now right?)

not sure about msi's boards (only used dfi, asus, and gigabyte boards before) but msi's another big name so i'm guessing it should be good..

KevinTMC

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I wound up letting that deal go by...but it's just as well, I think, since I'm not actually 100% sure how much money I've got to work with, but should know a lot more within the next day or so.

I've had a good experience with MSI before, back when I built a Duron 750 machine...that's obviously been awhile though, and I'd probably get an even warmer fuzzier feeling if I could find a nice deal on an ASUS board.

EDIT:

I've been planning to do some more poking around and then post a proper parts list once I've decided which motherboards to keep the closest eye on...but you're quite right below, starting a new thread using the usual form would be a good idea. I'll get to that shortly.