Dell 9200 notebook good for gaming?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2004 7:10:03 AM

Hello,

I am seriously thinking about getting the new 17inch notebook just
released by Dell. I like to play flight sims like Lock On-Modern Air
Combat or Falcon 4.0. Here are the specs of the system that i'm
thinking of getting. I have a few specifice questions, and I figure
you guys are the guys to ask:)

Module Description Product Code Sku Id
Inspiron 9200 Intel® Pentium® M 755 Processor (2GHz/400MHz FSB)
GBM20HN [221-6545] 1
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition WHXP
[420-4766][313-2208][412-0408][412-0689][313-3081] 11
LCD Panel 17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display 17XGA [320-3900] 2
Memory 1GB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz 2 Dimm 1GB2D [311-3716] 3
Video Card 128MB ATI's™ Mobility Radeon™ 9700 ATI128 [320-4045] 6
Hard Drive Save $49! 80GB Hard Drive 80GBP [463-4749] 8
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 ADOBER [430-1048] 15

Questions:

1. I'm told that a 2ghz Centrino is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4
4ghz. Basically double it. Is that true?

2. The memory listed above, is that the best memory out there? I can
get as low as 256 and pull that out if it comes down to it.

3. The 128 graphics card. Do you guys know if I can pull it out and
install a 256 or even a 512 graphics card in about a year?

4. Whats the difference between a 7200 harddrive and a 5400 hard
drive?

5.Finally, would this notebook be a decent gaming notebook? I need a
laptop for traveling, but I want to have the power to play games. This
seems to be a happy medium.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2004 12:54:33 AM

aladin a ecrit :

> Hello,

Hello,

[...]
> Questions:
>
> 1. I'm told that a 2ghz Centrino is roughly equivalent to a Pentium 4
> 4ghz. Basically double it. Is that true?

AFAIK:

1,3ghz Centrino = 2.0ghz P4
1,4ghz Centrino = 2.2ghz P4
1,6ghz Centrino = 2.4ghz P4
1,7ghz Centrino = 2.6ghz P4

For the 2ghz Centrino... I don't know... But the fact is that Pentium 4
on notebooks don't work at their maximum capability, because it would be
to warm for a notebooks.
P4 are note designed for notebooks, Centrino are.

> 2. The memory listed above, is that the best memory out there? I can
> get as low as 256 and pull that out if it comes down to it.

I'm not sure I have understood your question (english is not my mother
tongue). As far as I know, the 333Mhz memory are the best for notebooks,
for now. And on Dell website, it seems you can have 2048 RAM, (2x1024),
but it's very expensive (the price of this notebook, in that case)

> 3. The 128 graphics card. Do you guys know if I can pull it out and
> install a 256 or even a 512 graphics card in about a year?

There are two graphic gards for notebooks:

1) the graphic cards is directly on the mother board, and cannot be
removed.
2) the graphic cards is a real card, and can be changed, but even there,
it is not easy to find a graphic card to buy. Try to ask in shops if you
they sell graphic cards for notebooks :-(

> 4. Whats the difference between a 7200 harddrive and a 5400 hard
> drive?

That is the speed to access data on the drive. This speed depends on the
size of the memory cache of the hard drive, too.
A 7200 is faster than a 5400.

> 5.Finally, would this notebook be a decent gaming notebook? I need a
> laptop for traveling, but I want to have the power to play games. This
> seems to be a happy medium.

I'm thinking about buy this one, too. And the gaming is important to me,
too ;-)
The most important in a notebook for gaming is the graphic card, and the
ati 9700 is one of the better for now (Is the 9800 out yet?) So I think
it will be good for gaming, but never forget that it will never be as
good a desktop.

Lancelet
--
Where have all the years gone