Sign in with
Your question

Intel Itanium

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 2:06:52 AM

Right now I am willing to splurge on a working HP workstation I2000 that has two 733mhz Itainum 1 cpus and 3gb ram. It is ready to use so I am wondering is the machine 32bit app compatible while I will be upgrading the OS to Win server 2008 R2 since I am a student. This machine will be used as a training aid for two of my classes so that I have "hands on" experience and not just be like the rest having only read from the lame book. Uses will include using it as a media/backup server and possible retro gaming if it also supports win9X games. It has a AGPpro 110 slot so it can use older 3dfx cards while still being compatible with newer agp cards. It has a stock 800w psu and can upgrade to 16gb ram. By the way its heavy. Price is a meager $109 before tax.

More about : intel itanium

a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 2:21:19 AM

Itaniums CPUs are not x86, it is based on the IA-64 architecture which was Intels orginal approach for desktop 64-bit before AMDs x86-64 extension overtook the market.

I don't think it can support 32-bit games, as software suppport is pretty dismal. Even if it can it would be through emulation, so Ill say go for something else.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 2:57:38 AM

Well that ruled out Win9x retro and 32bit modern apps but there is still some native 64bit finally starting to float around after 64bit cpus have been around since the stone age. I think that rules out modern games as well since most if not all are 32bit :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 3:02:17 AM

Native X64-64 bit apps are different from native IA-64 apps, for example you can not run 64bit X86 apps on ARM, even though ARM chips can be technically "64-bit".

I would just avoid Itanium as the future for it is almost pitch black, unless you have existing programs that uses IA-64, go Xeon/Opterons instead.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 3:22:47 AM

Timop said:
Native X64-64 bit apps are different from native IA-64 apps, for example you can not run 64bit X86 apps on ARM, even though ARM chips can be technically "64-bit".

I would just avoid Itanium as the future for it is almost pitch black, unless you have existing programs that uses IA-64, go Xeon/Opterons instead.

I am only interested because the system is cheap and is being used as a learning tool not actual and useful work. It looks like it may be of some limted use for next semester when I start my unix class since it supports HP ux. I am in networking and I have to take multiple classes over different operating systems. For this semester it is Win 2008 r2 and older versions while next semester its unix.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 3:28:48 AM

nforce4max said:
I am only interested because the system is cheap and is being used as a learning tool not actual and useful work. It looks like it may be of some limted use for next semester when I start my unix class since it supports HP ux. I am in networking and I have to take multiple classes over different operating systems. For this semester it is Win 2008 r2 and older versions while next semester its unix.

For the price you could just grab it for the fun, just don't expect doing anything very productive with it other than the handful Unix programs and beta ports.

m
l
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 3:38:20 AM

Timop said:
For the price you could just grab it for the fun, just don't expect doing anything very productive with it other than the handful Unix programs and beta ports.

Sure and I will try to haggle them to see if they will sell it for less. I was able to make them sell a HTPC for less than they wanted as a gift for mom. If I can get them to sell for $50-75 then it will be worth while knowing that books for college cost more. There is one just like it on eBay for $350 lol and the cpus aren't cheap "cough rip off"
m
l
!