Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need suggestions for a Graphic Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 29, 2010 2:42:52 AM

I'm currently building a new gaming Desktop and I need a GPU.
My budget: 500-600$
SLI: Maybe
CrossFire: Maybe

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
CPU: i7 920 (Bloomfield)
RAM: 3 x 2GB Corsair Dominator
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
SDD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II
PSU: I didn't choose one yet.

GPU: ????????????????????????????????????????
May 29, 2010 3:00:55 AM

I'm effectively planning on buying 2 ASUS 23.6", 1920 x 1080 res.

My fault, I wasn't clear for the budget. It's 500-600$ for the GPU only :) 

If I buy a HD5850, I would have a loose 100$

Where should I invest it ?

And why should I choose a 5850 over a 5870 ?

Thanks :) 
m
0
l
May 29, 2010 3:25:45 AM

nexuss said:
I'm effectively planning on buying 2 ASUS 23.6", 1920 x 1080 res.

My fault, I wasn't clear for the budget. It's 500-600$ for the GPU only :) 

If I buy a HD5850, I would have a loose 100$

Where should I invest it ?

And why should I choose a 5850 over a 5870 ?

Thanks :) 


The reference model HD5850s are known to be solid overclockers with many overclockers boasting performance as good as the HD5870. I'm personally waiting for my ASUS DirectCU HD5850 to come in so I can push its limits as well.

What resolution are you looking to play games at? If you don't mind going a bit over budget, you can get 2 5850s and run them in crossfire and you would essentially have a setup similar to running a single HD5970.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 29, 2010 3:39:34 AM

Ok, 2 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 5850 Crossfire.
PSU...? 800W+ you said...CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 ?
Is there any other modifications you would suggest ?
m
0
l
May 29, 2010 5:29:59 PM

nexuss said:
Ok, 2 Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 5850 Crossfire.
PSU...? 800W+ you said...CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 ?
Is there any other modifications you would suggest ?


I'd suggest getting an HX850 instead of the 850TX if you can afford it. The modular power cables will make it easier to keep your case tidy so that airflow remains good.
m
0
l
May 29, 2010 5:57:48 PM

Could I only purchase 1 HD 5870 and wait until I have the money for a second one ?
Would 1 HD 5870 supports most games out there til I get the money ?
m
0
l
May 29, 2010 6:04:33 PM

nexuss said:
Could I only purchase 1 HD 5870 and wait until I have the money for a second one ?
Would 1 HD 5870 supports most games out there til I get the money ?


Absolutely. The only reason I recommended the 5850 is that dollar for dollar its performance is solid, and with a $600 budget I would be looking at getting 2 of them as a makeshift cheaper 5970. Getting two 5870s will also be a solid choice, especially if you're willing to get one now and another later since the second 5870 might be cheaper when you get it.

Not getting two cards now also has a secondary benefit. If you decide that a single card option is better than a second 5870 in the future, it'll be easier to sell one 5870 than two 5850s to help lessen the blow of the next upgrade.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 6:10:58 PM

I thought you settled on 2x5850 earlier. Do you mean your funds is enough for just 1 5870?
But of course you can buy the 5870 first and it will support most games, in fact all games out there.
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 9:59:25 PM

If I go with a single HD 5870 which one do I get ? Is that one a good buy ? 1GB or 2 ?
Otherwise, I could go with two 5850 Sapphire.

It's really a tough choice I have here..
m
0
l
May 30, 2010 11:11:19 PM

nexuss said:
If I go with a single HD 5870 which one do I get ? Is that one a good buy ? 1GB or 2 ?
Otherwise, I could go with two 5850 Sapphire.

It's really a tough choice I have here..


What resolution are you planning on playing at?
m
0
l
May 31, 2010 2:05:29 AM

2 Monitors,
1920 x 1080 Rez.
I am Ok with a 850W ? Or should I spend a little more to get a 1K ?
m
0
l
May 31, 2010 9:33:46 PM

Quote:
The 1GB would be great.
850W enough for Crossfiring 5870s, even a trifire would work.


Thanks, I have two other questions ;) 

First, In many built, TH is using Crucial's 6GB (2x3) RAM. It has lower latency for a better price over the Dominator. Should I get these ? Can I trust Crucial ?
Second, TH recommend CoolerMaster's HAF 932 over my Antec 1200. Should I listen to Tom's Hardware ?

m
0
l
May 31, 2010 10:05:38 PM

Mushkin's kit is definitely better. Could I overclock them to 1600?
No, I'll go with the 932.
If it was your build, would you go for the HD5850(x2) or the HD5870(I would buy another one after) ? If you have another suggestion or preference for GPU, it's the time lol ;) 
m
0
l
May 31, 2010 11:20:16 PM

Best answer selected by nexuss.
m
0
l
May 31, 2010 11:22:43 PM

But, which one ? I can't get 2 Sapphire for 700$ or I'll be over my budget.
m
0
l
May 31, 2010 11:55:11 PM

And for the PSU...ANTEC 850W ?
m
0
l
!