gsmd_bari

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
My son's black Macbook seems to crash without warning (battery says plenty of power left) and when it does it blows away all his iTunes files! This happened a few times. In an effort to solve this and also update it between school years, I installed a new battery and hard drive (both 3rd party units). Then I installed Snow Leopard over the old "Tiger" he had. I got a call last week that it did the same thing again! I discussed this at the Genius Bar and they said it might be a logic board. The computer was away at college with him at this point and out of warranty.
He brought it in to the college bookstore and they sent it out. No luck finding the solution. Next step is for him to get over to the Apple store somehow. Anybody have similar probs or possible enlightenment?? :cry:
Thanks,
Don in Seattle

seems to crash without warning (battery says plenty of power left)
Battery has nothing to do with crashing. Unless you aren't using the word crashing properly and you actually mean it randomly shuts down without warning or acts as if you removed the battery while it was on.

it blows away all his iTunes files
That makes no sense to me. What do you mean?

Then I installed Snow Leopard over the old "Tiger" he had. I got a call last week that it did the same thing again!
Might want to consider reformatting and installing a clean copy. If there were issues in the OS, upgrading it might carry those issues over.

I installed a new battery and hard drive (both 3rd party units)
Oh ok. So I assume you installed a fresh copy of OSX then.

I discussed this at the Genius Bar and they said it might be a logic board.
Could be. If you could get a new one somehow, you might be able to replace it.

they sent it out. No luck finding the solution
Sent it out where? Who had no luck finding a solution?

Sounds to me like you've tried everything you can. You could either purchase a new computer or send this one back to apple to have them fix it for a price.