Can I use my new computer to get my pics n music off other hard drives

xAngelLovex

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Can I use my new computer to get my photos and music files off my old computers that won't load to the desktops for various reasons...viruses, messed up registry, etc. I would love to get my children's lost baby pictures and old music I had on them onto disc, but have no idea how to go about doing this. I've taken apart a computer before, and installed dv-rw drives, etc. but I've never done anything like what I'm asking about. I believe I'd be able to do it though, if I only had the instructions of what to do. Can anyone out there please help me? Thanks so much!!!

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

If they are SATA harddrives (they plug in with a red cord) then just plug it into an open SATA port on your computers Motherboard, and open them in "My Computer."

Make sure you take the time to install them into your new computer correctly with all the screws and what not.

IF they are older Harddrives (They connect with a ribbon cable) Make sure your computers motherboard has a legacy IDE slot for old harddrives.

Be sure to put the proper power connectors to each harddrive, a SATA power for SATA harddrives, or a MOLEX plug for an IDE Harddrive.

YEs this should be fairly straight forward. If you don't have an external drive or a thumb drive and the other machines are unbootable, you'll have to uninstall the HD's from the old machine. This only takes a screwdriver and is fairly simple. Be sure to grab the flat SATA cable that is attached, or the ribbon cable for IDE drives.

Then you will need to install these in your new machine, which I am hoping is a desktop. Attach all SATA, ribbon, and power cable and install in an open hard drive bay slot. Once installed, you should first run a virus scan so your new PC doesn't get infected. Then run an error scan on the drive: right click the drive>properties>tools>error checking. Tell it to correct any errors and wait for the drive to complete the operation.

Now it gets a bit tricky. Those drives have permissions on them, so you will have to take ownership. Google "taking ownership of hard drive" to learn how to do this. Once you can access the files, its really a matter of copying the files to your new hard drive. Let me know if you have any questions.