Hard drives cost so much!!

spat55

Distinguished
I want to backup all my stuff, but when a HDD costs £80 for 1TB or a "reliable" seagate 2TB, why bother? Think I will just keep all my music and pics on a flash drive and hope i dont get a faliure...

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Flash drives don't hold very much storage. By the time you baught enough to cover your needs, you will have spent more money than you would have buying a mechanical drive.

I wouldn't trust my data to a flash drive for long term storage and protection, but it is definitely a better idea than using DVDs.

Western Digital's manufacturing plants in Thailand were heavily damaged by flooding in 2011.

To date, 132 Seagate employees have suffered damage to their homes. In response, Seagate is implementing a plan under which teams of employee volunteers will help clean up affected employees' homes, with Seagate financial support.

A number of Seagate executives and members of the Board of Directors are making personal contributions toward flood relief.

Seagate Inc, it's self donated $1 million to Chaipattana Foundation, Thailand Red Cross Society, & Give2Asia.

spat55

Distinguished

Yeah I know, but they are all fixed now. I'll just use my flash drive for my main stuff, rather than a full system backup.