Sign in with
Your question

Computer Checklist?

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2010 3:07:03 AM

Hey guys,

I'll be receiving my computer tomorrow, and as it's my first desktop in almost 6-7 years, I was wondering what sort of things I should look for. Anything I should get rid of/download once I first boot it? Should I change any settings? Should I look for certain updates and whatnot? Basically just a checklist of things I should go through when I first boot up my new PC. It's a dell xps 7100. Thanks everyone!

More about : computer checklist

July 7, 2010 3:15:33 AM

It probably comes with norton of mcaffee preinstalled. Kill that off and replace it with the free AV of your choice, i used to use AVG but have switched to avast since it seems to be quite a bit lighter. Since its a prebuilt you dont need to go through and update drivers or anything, but you will probably need to let it restart a few times to get all the windows updates installed.
July 7, 2010 3:36:02 AM

What's wrong with mcaffee?
Related resources
July 7, 2010 3:43:05 AM

They always give you a 90 day free trial, unless you feel like paying a significant amount of the AV protection you can get for free i would suggest getting rid of it because neither one of them tends to play nicely once you install another AV. They tend to charge you $40 per year while stuff like Panda, AVG, and Avast give you the same protection level for free for personal computers, they charge corporate users instead.
July 7, 2010 3:52:18 AM

Hmm, that's actually kind of lame. With my dell I got 15 months free of mcafee protection. Should I still get rid of it?
July 7, 2010 4:05:14 AM

Hmm actually on that note, I should get an anti-spyware program too should I not? Any good ones out there?
July 7, 2010 4:10:03 AM

Wow that significantly better than most, you can hang onto it for a little while then, i just get annoyed at 90 day free trials very quickly on day 91.

I use Ad-Aware, im sure that there are other better ones out there, but i havent gotten anything significant for years, between AVG and Ad-aware they always picked it up.
!