Sign in with
Your question

Tips on what upgrade in my pc

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2010 9:12:38 AM

Right now my setup is a amd ii x 630, 4th DDR 3 1330, ta870+ mother board and a gtx 460 video. What can I upgrade to get the most performance boost. I use my computer for gaming and art projects. I was thinking of getting a phenom ii x 4 965BE would that give me a good performance boost or should I add some more ram. The issue I have is when I play games my CPU usage goes between 70-95%

More about : tips upgrade

a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 9:57:41 AM

I'd suggest you OC your CPU first if you're having any issues. The rig is pretty good.
September 4, 2010 10:28:31 AM

Hi friend,

you will be getting a motherboard which uses one of the the latest CPU Socket interfaces, you'll need a new motherboard to match the CPU, but you'll be able to upgrade to any of the newer processors made for that motherboard. It's most important that you think of this option as it is quite often attractive as it gives flexibility for a simple CPU upgrade in a year or two's time. Its better for you to consult a good and experienced hardware professional for more detail.

Thanks
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 10:52:03 AM

Robert Gentle said:
Hi friend,

you will be getting a motherboard which uses one of the the latest CPU Socket interfaces, you'll need a new motherboard to match the CPU, but you'll be able to upgrade to any of the newer processors made for that motherboard. It's most important that you think of this option as it is quite often attractive as it gives flexibility for a simple CPU upgrade in a year or two's time. Its better for you to consult a good and experienced hardware professional for more detail.

Thanks

That mobo has a 870 chipset, which supports AM3. Google first, then post.
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2010 11:37:17 AM

Robert Gentle said:
Hi friend,

Thanks

Hi Friend, some advice...

Don't put your companies website address on the bottom of a post that offers both wrong and no information at the same time, essentially you said, "think about a new mobo as they are newer, but ask someone else who knows what they are talking about". The problem with this is that it makes you look very poor in the knowledge department and some who uses weasel words a lot, and your company becomes associated with that.

to the OP, you are always going to have weakspot, if the weak spot is very weak (a strong bottleneck) then upgrading it will give you a decent boost, if the weakspot is only a little weak (a weak bottleneck) then you'll need to upgrade everything to get any change in performance.

Your cpu utlisation being at 70-95% may not be a problem, yes you'll be throttling your gpu a bit, if you were running at 95%+ all of the time then you'd have a real problem and a strong bottleneck, with the associated opportunity to improve things.

If you can use rivatuner or msi afterburner then you can see what your gpu untilisation is, if your gpu utilisation is high and you cpu util is high then don't bother, if your gpu util is low and your cpu is high then the cpu can be upgraded and you'll probably get a benefit. if your cpu is low and the gpu is high then a better gpu will help.

But the real point behind the decision is whether the gaming performance is good enough for you, forget FPS, does it feel smooth enough. I'm running a Q9550@2.83 and a GTX470, and in BF2BC i'm getting a comfortable 40-50FPSat 1680x1050 75-90%+ cpu (4 cores) util and 90%+ gpu util, most things run smoothly enough, stalker cop etc.
!