Can I use my current HDD on my new PC build?

AladdinsCarpet

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Hello, I am building a new computer and I was wondering if I could just use my current HDD for it. I use windows 7 home premium and would be using the same in the new build. Will it work or will there be compatibility issues? If it works what can I expect to still use? Will any applications still work? Thanks for the help.

Solution
Yes, you can use the same drive if the ports match (SATA or IDE) on the motherboard, but before you take out the hard drive, back up everything before installing it into the new system. The easiest way to get Windows up and running on a different motherboard is to wipe out the old installation, and reinstall from scratch. There are ways to repair it, but I've found it easier to start over to avoid all kinds of driver conflicts.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Yes, you can use the same drive if the ports match (SATA or IDE) on the motherboard, but before you take out the hard drive, back up everything before installing it into the new system. The easiest way to get Windows up and running on a different motherboard is to wipe out the old installation, and reinstall from scratch. There are ways to repair it, but I've found it easier to start over to avoid all kinds of driver conflicts.

Solution