How Would You Design Your Case?

Would you design your own computer case if you could?

• Yes

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Whats a case?

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

ares1214

Splendid
Hello everybody! This is a poll asking if you could design your own case, would you? More importantly, please give a description, drawing, picture, render, tech specs, or brief summary/explanation of how you would design it.

I have wanted to make my own for a while, but i probably wont get around to it for another year or two when i will hopefully have a bit more time to go in an use the machine shop on campus to do this.

While i think stuff like the 902 and the HAF 922 look cool, if i were going to build my own i would make it a lot like the Corsair 800D and the Silverstone fortress, i like how they are smooth and i like the fortress hiding all of the cables but i would switch it up so the back plate of the motherboard was close to the floor so all of the wires exit in a nice little bundle at the bottom of the case. I would probably not have the PSU exhausting out the case and instead use a few nicely concealed 200mm fans on the back to handle that with vents on the bottom front and top to let air in. I want it to be sort of an ominous black box sitting next to the desk that someone looks at and they dont know its a computer.

ares1214

Splendid
Interesting. If i had the skills to build my own, which are getting there, well, id imagine something like the 800D would be the easiest to build, as far as just a black box more or less :lol: If you ask me, as this is a bit of an experiment, i want to know specifics. So to start off, here are a few questions:

■What size? Mid, Large, Small?
■What color interior? What color outside?
■What material?
■PSU Mounted Top or bottom?
■How many 5.25" bays? Door? Mesh all them?
■How many 3.5" bays? Hotswap any? Sideways mounted or normal?
■How many fans? What size fans? Fan configuration?
■MOBO Configuration? Inverted?
■Cable management?

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I won't give away my multi-million dollar idea on these forums, sorry. Just remember the name TYJ technology when you see it blowing your mind.

The one i described early would probably be fairly large, black, probably made of steel with a bottom mounted PSU to keep it nice and stable with all the heavy stuff in the bottom. Probably 2 5.25" bays to the front behind little doors, 4 internal sideways mounted 3.5" bays, i dont really see the need for 12 HDD bays unless you are doing a giant RAID setup, and since it would be a custom build i would probably assemble it and then decide where i need holes for the PSU cables and what not, then go back and cut them and put rubber grommets on them.

ares1214

Splendid
I personally like the look and concept of mesh dust filtered 5.25" bay going down the whole front. Keeps it nice and uniform, good ventilation, and so on. I dont see a need for more than say 4 5.25" bays max (2 ODD, 1/2 fan control, card reader or hub maybe) and thats max, so put 4 on there. Then id say more than 6 3.25 HDD's is just pointless, so 6 is max for that. Mounted side ways of course. Now that we have that figured out, the front will be 8-10 mesh 5.25" bays going down the front. There will be 4 5.25" bay slots, 1 hotswap ssd on front, 1 hotswap hdd on front, and then a cage of 4 sideways HDD. 2 hotswap to be less specfic. Then a 120-180mm fan on the bottom, siliverstons AP181 would be good for that...thoughts? Im just thinking outloud, maybe NZXT or silverstone will give some thought to what the user wants :lol:

AMW1011

Distinguished
Design my own case huh? Well...

* What size? Mid, Large, Small? ~ Full tower
* What color interior? What color outside? ~Silver or Black internal and external
* What material? ~ Aluminum, of course
* PSU Mounted Top or bottom? Bottom, or both
* How many 5.25" bays? Door? Mesh all them? Either an Antec 900 style 5.25" style or as few 5.25" bays as possible, maybe just one, so I can fit more fans.
* How many 3.5" bays? Hotswap any? Sideways mounted or normal? Side ways, no hotswap
* How many fans? What size fans? Fan configuration? 2-3 120/140mm front intake fans, 2 140mm/ 3 120mm top exhaust fans, 1 120/140mm rear fan, 1 140mm side fan over the GPU, 2 internal 120/140mm fans for a push pull on the HDD bays and front intake.
* MOBO Configuration? Inverted? Standard, removable
* Cable management? 1"+ space behind mobo tray and 800D-like cutouts

Basically an aluminum version of the Antec P190 with better cable management and a removeable mobo tray:
4.JPG

Or the Lian Li PC-A71 with these:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_158_711&products_id=28207
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=130_387&products_id=24603

As you can see I have expensive taste...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well if I could build my own case, here is what it would probably look like or be like (I might make a 3D model of it in CAD later).

Size: Large
Height: 26'' (Room for HDD/ODD Bays, Fans)
Depth: 24'' (Room for large MB's, Fans)
Width: 12'' (Room for large HSF's, Fans, Cable Management)

Color:
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black

Material: Something very strong and very heavy. Carbonated Steel maybe, some parts might be titanium.

PSU Mount: Both...so I can fit two PSU's if need be. But if I had one, it would be bottom mounted to keep the CG low for stability.

Bays:
5.25: 5 (For 2 ODD's, and a large fan controller with a display)
3.5: Fill up the rest of the height space for plenty of storage devices.

Bay Mounting: All of them are mounted on the side, you open the side door, put into a nest, slide it in. Kind of like in an HAF 932, except the HDD's would be parallel lengthwise to the case, not perpendicular as they are in an HAF so connectors would be behind them. For 5.25'' drives, you would the same thing and then push them forward to slot into the bay and appear in front of the case.

Doors: There is a door on both sides and front.

Trays: The motherboard is on a removable tray which can be slotted out the back of the case without removing the cooler or any extension cards, just removing connectors. Part of the top is a removable panel on screws for more access...my main goal for a case is easy access to any part of it so the more things come off the better.

Fans:
Top: Dual 300mm Exhuast
Side: 400mm Intake (Basically the entire side panel
Rear: Dual 200mm Exhaust
Bottom: Dual 200mm, Single 140mm Intake
Front: Dual 250mm
^Its a crazy fan config but for a case of the size...it would fit well. And water cooling is an option.

Cable Management: Removable tunnels along the edges of the inside of the case and a 1-2'' space behind the Mobo tray for extra wires.

ares1214

Splendid

While that does sound fairly amazing, the size and fan setup arent exactly practical :lol: Do we all like hot swappable bays, or do we find them annoying? Also, material...well, we can choose from basically 3, steel, aluminum, plastic, and maybe through in a few other metals and alloys. So thats important. Remember it cant use miracle metal, it has to be cost effective. So beyond that, how bout the motherboard. Removable or CPU backplate cutout? and side panel. Plain, window, or mesh?

AMW1011

Distinguished

Both

Plain or windowed, need an option. Window must only show the components, not 5.25" bay mounting BS.

Like:
ds_side.jpg

Not:
PC-B71B-BOW_03.jpg

ares1214

Splendid
Yeah that bottom one is ugly. Does anybody know how much a side fan really affects cooling? As a window gives 0 cooling, but mesh and fans gives airflow. Also, for the materials, keep in mind iron costs $350 a ton, steel $650-900, and aluminum $2000. So while yes, aluminum IS lighter, it also costs 2-6 times more than iron and steel. Anyway to make iron better? Not like it really needs rust resistance, but who knows.

ares1214

Splendid
Carbon Fiber might begin to make a debut in cases. While the main obstacle is price (3-5 times more expensive than aluminum), it has amazing atributes. It has a density 1/5 of steel, and 33% less than aluminum. Basically a block of aluminum weighing 10 pounds, would be a block of steel weighing 29 pounds, and carbon fiber weighing 6.5 pounds. Carbon fiber is also 6x stronger than aluminum, and doesnt flex when pushed, so it would feel a LOT sturdier. Considering it costs 3-5 times more than aluminum, but is 6 times stronger (pound for pound) maybe it wouldnt really cost any more?

AMW1011

Distinguished

side fans are good for multiple GPUs, but has to be positioned well.

Well, its been done:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2968747&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Somehow its actually heavy.

ares1214

Splendid
Well that was made out of aluminum and carbon fiber, and where do you see the weight, i cant find it. Fact is, depending on the type, carbon fiber would be likely 4x lighter than traditional steel and plastic, and about 33% lighter than full aluminum. Although its nice to see its been done, wasnt outrageously expensive, looks good, and was a fairly large size.

ares1214

Splendid
Also, that case was made with 2.5mm carbon fiber. most steel cases are 0.8mm steel. It might take some engineering and science, but i find it hard to believe they cant make a stronger material be thinner.

ares1214

Splendid
Thats just a modded 700D. And the SR-2 doesnt matter, it will have such a small market share (0.000001% at best :lol: ) that its form factor doesnt matter. But just crunched the numbers, and a case that is 21.7 x 8.1 x 21 (inches) needs 2.2 pounds of steel to make a .8mm steel shell, and JUST that. Aluminum would take 0.787 pounds. Carbon fiber would take .5 pounds. Factor in costs for each, 2.2 pounds of steel costs $0.836, 0.787 pounds of aluminum costs about $0.85, and .5 pounds of carbon fiber costs about $1.5-2.5 depending on the type and cost. LASTLY, factor in the strength. If you remember, i said .8mm thick. Fact is, carbon fiber is overall about 6.6x stronger than steel, and 11.7 times stronger than aluminum (overall strength doesnt always equate to the feel of it, just this time it does). For steel to be as strong as .8mm of carbon fiber (the type makes this change a lot, but carbon fiber can me made MANY different ways, so this is even tipping the favor in steel), the steel would have to be 5.3mm thick, or $5.51. The aluminum would have to be 9.36mm thick (aluminum may feel stronger, but it isnt) or $10. In other words, working backwards, the carbon fiber could be .12mm thick to be as strong as the steel ($.38) or 0.07mm thick to be as strong as the aluminum ($.17). I know that was a long and boring math equation, i mean, reading, but carbon fiber seems to be way more efficient. It is also a LOT easier to manipulate, a lot cheaper to put together (no welding) and is suppose to have really good heat properties, not sure if it matters though. Not to mention its already black, so no need for paint :lol: I wonder why they dont use it.... :hello: Hey silverstone, USE CARBON FIBER :lol:

and .5 pounds of carbon fiber costs about $1.5-2.5 depending on the type and cost
Hell no! Carbon Fiber is expensive. A 2x2 twill CF 31" will cost ~ $13-15 per yard. You need about 6 layers for a case. That's ~ $200-250 worth of CF and resin/epoxy for a mid sized case. CF + Kevlar blend and "colored" CF cost even more. Here is a SFF CF case: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-of-the-month/2010/08/06/mod-of-the-month-july-2010/7

Believe me, I played with CF a bit (doing my own CF case btw; project on hold due to cost) and it's not easy to work with CF.

a big case 6 ft tall 15 inches wide 15 inches deep it will have a custom 14 inc radiators at the bottom 4 sandwiched wits 12 inch fans in between all blowing up with a huge exhaust fan on top

ares1214

Splendid

I wasnt measuring in yards, more of an estimation of pounds to keep things easy. That estimate cant be right considering the one case cost $200, was made out of mostly carbon fiber and some aluminum. If it costs $200-250 in carbon fiber alone, well do the math. Also, the whole case cant really be carbon fiber. Probably the motherboard tray, hdd rack, any mesh, and the expansion slot area would all have to be steel or aluminum, cutting down on cost quite a bit.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/003300.html

If in 2006 it was $8-10 a pound, i doubt today it will be that expensive. I used $5 as an estimate, and look at the strenth to weight to cost ratio! :lol: Even if i use $10, it would still cost less to keep the same stregnth. Also, they can customize how they want it. They can likely make it have less tensile strength to be cheaper, but more stiffness, or put foam in the middle, but there are a lot of things they could do to get it just right for computers. And did anybody see that video? Im not gonna lie, i dont get how, i just found it interesting :lol:

You can't effectively do cost of CF by doing it per weight. It won't give you a realistic estimate.

If it costs $200-250 in carbon fiber alone
It's the CF + the epoxy/resin. Not just the CF.

Also, the whole case cant really be carbon fiber
Sure it can. Considering there is a (very small) market for the Thermal Take Level 10, I'm pretty sure there will be a market for full CF cases :p.