Intel i5 integrated graphics NEWBIE HELP!

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi everyone (apologises for the caps) im new to building but have been researching recently.

I'm looking to build a computer used for ms office, browsing and 1080p playback

So, i'm considering;
Intel i5 760
Asus P7H55-M/USB3
Corsiar 2x 2GB
Thermal take TR2 470W

It is important that 1080p playback is perfectly smooth and although it may be an overkill it is the main reason for this build (that and the fact i currently only have a little netbook)

So, will the i5 IGP be able to handle any sort of 1080p (mkv etc) playback?
intel boast that it will but i've read one forum thread where a person complained of lag in 1080p depending on the frame rate of the specific film ( this may have been just youtube HD i'm not sure) yet others have said it handles these fine.

I guess im worried that once built i play a slow moving 1080p works fine but skips on say transformers or a fast moving action film.

Apologises in advance mods if this should have its own seperate thread

But, am i safe in terms of temperature and cooling with the PSU or should i look into it?
I also plan on buying a 600w stereo running jack to jack from pc will i need to consider sound cards because of this (maybe to better the quality) or will on board mobo suffice. Sorry if this is a really stupid question and has just entertained you.

Thank you for any replies.

First, your build is excellent.
Second, the Intel i5 760 does not have integrated graphics.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

Your CPU is way overkill for what you need. Even an Athlon IIx2 with 2GB of memory and integrated 3200/4200 graphics would be more than enough.

If you are intel obsessed, you could also go for the icore based pentium, as they do have integrated graphics.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43230

And yes, the integrated graphics should be able to handle any HD movies. But I can only personally vouch for the 4200 because that is the graphics chipset I have on my desktop.

Your CPU is actually more important in watching HD movies, even though the GPU can offload some. All new desktop CPUs available today can handle it that are not atom-based.

But, am i safe in terms of temperature and cooling with the PSU or should i look into it?
Your PSU has nothing to do with temperature and cooling. You'll need to tell me about what does have to do with it, ie, a cooler for parts and what case? If you aren't overclocking, virtually anything will be more than enough. No need to look for aftermarket coolers.

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thank you for such a fast reply, I can't believe i overlooked that the 700 series does not have integrated graphics. How stupid!
I do understand the overkill but i would like to keep this pc for 4-5 years without it becoming TOO old. Although it may meet my needs i didn't want to build a pc which is already out of date, also why i wanted a mobo with usb3.0.
So, is it worth having a 700 series and gpu or say a 661 with integrated graphics for my needs ( if the IGP WILL handle 1080p) because i won't utilise the differences in the two series.
Thank you for clearing up my psu thoughts. I have not considered a cooler and no OC will be made, the case is ASUS TA-K51 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ASUS-TA-K51-Gloss-Black-Mid-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU

Apologise if we aren't on the same level and i'm not talking much sense my knowledge is very limited.

Hello LP2010;

No need to apologize. You're not the first (or last!) to be caught out by that strange Intel marketing of the i5 by mixing Lynnfield and Clarkdale CPUs.
No integrated graphics on the i5-750/760 (Lynnfield family) CPUs.
To get the integrated Intel HD Graphics you'll need one of the Clarkdale family CPUs.

Do you want to think about one of the Clarkdale CPUs like the Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz dual core £94 or Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz dual core £135 in place of the i5-760 quad core £154 and a separate video card like EVGA Geforce 210 £40?

Clarkdale CPU review

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks for clearing up my audio worries. I would rather have intel integrated graphics because of the cost (my budget is £400). I thought if i had to get a video card i should start looking at AMD also although i think i'm set on intel.

Although, if i opt for a 6 series and IGP struggles slightly with 1080p playback the saving will be lost

I'm not trying to be spoon feed but could you explain any practical differences i would find with a 650 or 661 (likely the 661) and a 750 because of the two additional cores in my day to day use or whilst playing 1080p and possibly in a couple of years.
I would like this to last 4-5 years but there will be no gaming.

Sorry for the late reply im playing on MW2 aswell

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Would i be safer going with a dedicated GPU and 760 for an extra £30 or a i5 661 using Intel HD graphics? I'm worried the integrated graphics will miss frames slightly with more demanding videos

An extra £30 gets you a quad core and a dedicated GPU?

i5 661 £162 vs i5-760 quad core £154 & HD 5450 graphics card £35
The ATI HD 5450 is a nice step up on processing power from the Geforce 210 and is less expensive too.

The possible issue with i5 661 and the other Clarkdales being able to do flawless, smooth HD playback isn't clear. It should be after this long, but its not for some reason.
I see quite a few reports that it does extremely well. But then there are the occasional forum posts saying the playback stutters. I personally think the problems lie in other areas (perhaps software or video player in use? or a problem with the source file) and not in the hardware itself. But I can't find a definitive answer I can point to and say 'This is covers it all'.

MW2 is a game. So which is it? No gaming? Or gaming? I recommend a radeon 5670 for comfortable 1080p play on MW2 without AA and with slightly lowered settings.

I would like this to last 4-5 years
In 5 years what do you see yourself doing with your computer? If you are still watching blu-rays or other HD movies and haven't changed your uses, it will still work for that. A couple years ago I was watching DVD quality movies on my Pentium 3 1GHz with no problems. The problems came with trying to play HD content. Of course, the needs of watching that would have been impossible to predict back then.
If you want to keep a computer for 4-5 years, spend your entire budget. And set a budget and don't go above it either. But in all honesty, I would recommend building a new computer every 3 years at the least if you are a power user kind of person who wants to keep up to date with the latest standard speed. But if you intend to keep your computer for 4-5 years and not change your usage, then there is no point in spending more than you need now. Either way, there is no point in buying more than you need now. Also consider that a core i5 760 and a core i5 661 will both be just as obsolete in 5 years. Think about it: would you rather have a pentium 4 3GHz or a pentium 4 3.6GHz today? Or perhaps you would wish you would have bought the 3.0GHz one then so you could afford the $60 cpu that is much faster than both chips today?

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I was playing on ps3 not pc, sorry for the confusion i do not and will not play pc games ( I know a custom pc would shame the ps3 but doesn't appeal)
In 4-5 years hopefully still being able to play some high quality video and ms office, browsing. This will be the time when i will be buying into 3D.

So, what i should take from your response is buy the 661?
I would like to stick within £400 (also need to buy 1Tb external hard drive 3.0 so more like £480) because of the fact that i know the pc is a bit of an overkill already.i could get a far cheaper p4 or whatever and it might work but i wanted a machine that's fairly new and will become old

Just worried that integrated graphics will let me down and then i'll be pissed at not having 4 cores but buying a dedicated card. Reviews i have read say HTPC owners won't encounter any problems but how demanding were their samples with intense scenes the IGP might miss frames. For example any sort of 1080p i throw at it if i notice a frame skip i will be disappointed and the build will have been completely unsuccessful

Anyone here who is actually using intel HD graphics and can share their experiences

LP2010

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

This is what i have found too. A few forum posts have not been resolved but with one not being the graphics card (after he had brought two). However, these members were all using VLC something i have scraped on my netbook as it cannot handle 1-2gb mkv files with kmplayer being able to play with missing frames (without external codec, with they play well) but i can't see how this could be overlooked by a whole community, Out of interest which do you use? A few of my friends say VLC VLC yet when i give them mkv's to play ( they have laptops no super pc's) they complain so i get them to switch to kmplayer and it's fine. Also, members straight away advise to buy a dedicated card on these posts with no trust for intel HD graphics.

I have assumed no need for a video card so have no idea really. Will the card linked be able to handle any thing HD thrown at it be it HD internet streaming (one forum member was complaining that youtube HD lagged slightly with his integrated graphics), blu ray (unlikely as i have ps3 for this), mkv's of any frame rate etc. The price is cheap compared to some i have noticed. An on the market graphics card won't be worse than the integrated graphics right? Im just paranoid
I worry a lot only because i know how little knowledge i have and also because if the video lags even the slightest i will cry. This is the whole purpose of my build.

So i guess now i don't need my motherboard if i opt for a dedicated card. I should start looking at a different chipset ( I don't know if that is the correct terminology) a p55 instead of h55. This is the best thing to do right? As the H55 board serves no purpose anymore