Quick Advice on this budget build

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi all, this build is for a family member who is after a new computer. They only want a very basic machine, needed only for surfing the net, microsoft office and for photos etc. I've tried to keep this as cheap as possible, he also wants a new monitor which is included.

Intel Core I3 530 2.93 GHz

Asus P7H55-M-SI

2GB Corsair Value Select 1333 MHz

500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 EcoGreen

Samsung DVD Burner

400W Corsair CX

Coolermaster 341 Elite

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

22" Acer P225HQbd 1080

This comes to £535 which is a reasonable price including a 22" monitor (About £420 without).

Just wondering if there is any other things that would benefit this build, thanks.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Could save a bit of money on the case (only about £5)
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xclio-3060-PLUS-Black-Silver-Midi-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU-36CM-Side-Fan!

Have you considered looking at an AMD build? You can probably save a bit of money there

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion with the case but they are wanting to keep the tower as small as possible, hence the micro atx case. And i did consider an AMD build but i figured to invest just a tad more in intels core i3 stuff will be a better option. Also because his current (dying) computer is an AMD build so i don't think he's their biggest fan at the minute.

Thanks

Hereisphilly

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah looking like a really great build there, i'd stick with the Coolermaster case, looks way way better, and will be a better quality.

I would swap out the HDD for the Samsung Spinpoint F3
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500Gb-Samsung-Spinpoint-F3-HD502HJ-SATA-3Gb-s-7200rpm-16Mb-Cache-8ms-OEM
This version is 7200rpm, so you will notice the difference

I wouldnt suggest you have to install an extra 2gb ram, getting 64bit now is a good buy, because in the future when you decide to buy more ram, you dont need to reinstall the OS.
64bit will run just fine on 2gb ram.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the HD advice Hereisphilly, i thought the eco green would be better as it would make less noise? Perhaps i'm wrong on that one but ill change to a full fat F3, i have one in my main build at home and it rocks for a HDD!

Since he's only wanting it for the net, office and photos i don't think 4 GB is necessary right now, however should the need to get 4 GB arise, i know that the 64-bit windows will be ready to take it.

Also, that Coolermaster case appears to be very popular, its sold out almost everywhere! Is it discontinued or on a shortage? Hopefully not.

Hereisphilly

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

It'll be slightly quieter (fans will problably still be the loudest thing), but you will notice the performace drop.
Err, not sure on the case, if it is discontinued, this antec looks good
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Antec-NSK-4000B-II-mini-tower-case-black-ATX-8-drive-bays-120mm-fan-no-PSU