Sign in with
Your question

Antec 300, coolermaster 690 or aopen QF50D

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2010 11:50:11 AM

hi,

i'm building a new pc and i'm wondering which case I should take.
I want a silent pc.
I hear that some people have problems with the side fan of the cm 690, does everyone have that problem?
I want to put these items in my pc:
Asus AM3 M4A89GTD PRO USB3 HDMI DVI VGA DDR3
AMD AM3 Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz BOX
ASUS ATI 5850 Direct CU 1GB DDR5 voltage tweak ed.
Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333MHz (2x2GB) CL9
Antec true power 550W

I hope you can help me!
July 7, 2010 1:13:51 PM

You should have no problem with a side fan on a CM 690 there's two mounting spots to choose from.
I assume they're referring to cpu cooler interfering with a side fan.
I have a CM Hyper 212+ a 120mm side fan in a CM 690 no problems.
July 7, 2010 1:21:50 PM

Yup, either the antec or the CM will be great. My suggestion, go for the CM as imo it looks better
Related resources
July 7, 2010 2:45:40 PM

davcon said:
You should have no problem with a side fan on a CM 690 there's two mounting spots to choose from.
I assume they're referring to cpu cooler interfering with a side fan.
I have a CM Hyper 212+ a 120mm side fan in a CM 690 no problems.

Is your cm hyper 212+ quiet ?
July 7, 2010 5:11:04 PM

You might want a quieter fan for your CPU. The stock AMD ones can get quite loud.
July 7, 2010 5:56:18 PM

Is the coolermaster hyper 212+ a stock cooler ?
July 7, 2010 6:58:53 PM

barrymobiel said:
Is the coolermaster hyper 212+ a stock cooler ?

No, the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is an aftermarket cooler, but is significantly better than the stock cooler
July 7, 2010 8:39:08 PM

I already have a CNPS7500-Cu LED, can I use this cooler for an amd 1055T processor ?
July 8, 2010 1:42:55 AM

barrymobiel said:
Can I place an antec tri-cooler or antec smart cool cooler on the cm hyper 212+?

I would mount the Hyper as it is if you think the fan is too loud put one of these on it.
http://www.forcom.be/?product=100423
July 8, 2010 11:14:19 AM

davcon said:
I would mount the Hyper as it is if you think the fan is too loud put one of these on it.
http://www.forcom.be/?product=100423

I really wouldn't use that fan, for 2 reasons

1. I've got the red version, and although it is quiet, there is a buzzing when on full power, its really annoying
2. Second, and most importantly, it is now a PWM fan. This means that the motherboard cant regulate the speed, so it will be at full power all the time, and most motherboards do not start if there is not a PWM fan installed. Try looking for an akasa apache PWM fan, or a scythe slipstream pwm fan
July 8, 2010 11:25:11 AM

Hereisphilly said:
I really wouldn't use that fan, for 2 reasons

1. I've got the red version, and although it is quiet, there is a buzzing when on full power, its really annoying
2. Second, and most importantly, it is now a PWM fan. This means that the motherboard cant regulate the speed, so it will be at full power all the time, and most motherboards do not start if there is not a PWM fan installed. Try looking for an akasa apache PWM fan, or a scythe slipstream pwm fan

Do you know a good fan from this website? : http://www.forcom.be/?cat=105&sub=COO&soort=
It's a dutch website, I hope it wouldn't cause much trouble.
July 8, 2010 11:42:18 AM

Sorry, i had a search around and that site has a limited range of fans, and doesn't sell any pwm fans. Any other sites you could use?
July 8, 2010 12:08:46 PM

Hereisphilly said:
Sorry, i had a search around and that site has a limited range of fans, and doesn't sell any pwm fans. Any other sites you could use?

Not realy but I could import a fan, so if you have a good site that exports to Belgium that would be great :) 
July 8, 2010 12:43:55 PM

barrymobiel said:
It ships to Belgium.

great, got for those then, i've got 2 on my cooler and theyre great!
July 8, 2010 1:06:51 PM

Hereisphilly said:
great, got for those then, i've got 2 on my cooler and theyre great!

Do your both fans blow air in the cooler or 1 in and 1 out ?
July 8, 2010 1:31:20 PM

its a push pull setup on my scythe yasya, its very hard to mount 2 fans on top of each other. so looking from the top of the cooler, it goes fan-->block-->fan
July 8, 2010 1:54:13 PM

Hereisphilly said:
its a push pull setup on my scythe yasya, its very hard to mount 2 fans on top of each other. so looking from the top of the cooler, it goes fan-->block-->fan

so 1 fan blows air in the block and the other 1 blows air out of the block?
July 8, 2010 1:57:13 PM

yeah, the first fan pulls air from outside the case and pushes it through the block, towards the second fan....
which pulls air out of the block and pushes it out into the case/exhaust fan
July 8, 2010 2:01:24 PM

Hereisphilly said:
yeah, the first fan pulls air from outside the case and pushes it through the block, towards the second fan....
which pulls air out of the block and pushes it out into the case/exhaust fan

Is the fan that comes with the hyper 212+ loud or is it best that i buy 2 new fans that you recommended?
July 8, 2010 2:30:36 PM

i wouldn't call the fan that's on the hyper 212+ quiet, it can get noisy at speed.
My recommendation is to buy one of the scythe fans, and do a straight swap, you will really notice the difference
July 8, 2010 7:30:30 PM

Hereisphilly said:
i wouldn't call the fan that's on the hyper 212+ quiet, it can get noisy at speed.
My recommendation is to buy one of the scythe fans, and do a straight swap, you will really notice the difference

I've calculated that if i buy the hyper 212+ with the 2 fans you recommended i'll have to pay around 62€.
I think I'm going to buy the Zalman CNPS 10X extreem. If you know a cheaper cpu cooler that does the job plz say it to me. http://www.forcom.be/?cat=105&sub=COO&type=PRC
July 8, 2010 9:24:44 PM

barrymobiel said:
Is the fan that comes with the hyper 212+ loud or is it best that i buy 2 new fans that you recommended?

The hyper 212 is a relatively quiet heatsink. I would not buy other fans (the vast majority of people using a hyper 212 use the fan that comes with it). Most likely your case fans will be noisier so it wont matter anyway. The 212 is quieter than the CPNS10X extreme, but not the CPNS10X quiet.

Unless you are going to heavy overclock, you wont likely run the fan up to high speed so the more expensive fans wont be worth the extra money.
July 8, 2010 9:46:53 PM

Try an Antec 300 Illusion, Antec Build Quality > Cooler Master. But the 690 and 690II are really nice. Had a 690II but RMAd it, cause it was to small for what i need (check sig)
July 8, 2010 9:47:47 PM

dndhatcher said:
The hyper 212 is a relatively quiet heatsink. I would not buy other fans (the vast majority of people using a hyper 212 use the fan that comes with it). Most likely your case fans will be noisier so it wont matter anyway. The 212 is quieter than the CPNS10X extreme, but not the CPNS10X quiet.

Unless you are going to heavy overclock, you wont likely run the fan up to high speed so the more expensive fans wont be worth the extra money.

I already own a zalman cnps 7500-cu..., do you think that will fit on my motherboard and is it going to cool my cpu with low noise or do i need to set the cooler on high. Thats why I'm thinking of buying the zalman x10 extreme because you can turn it on high and low when you want, like the zalman cnps 7500.
July 8, 2010 9:49:41 PM

cygone said:
Try an Antec 300 Illusion, Antec Build Quality > Cooler Master. But the 690 and 690II are really nice. Had a 690II but RMAd it, cause it was to small for what i need (check sig)

I think i'm going to go with the antec 300 becaus much people complain about the stock fans and the side fan. I want a silent pc so i think the antec 300 is the best option.
July 8, 2010 9:51:17 PM

barrymobiel said:
I already own a zalman cnps 7500-cu..., do you think that will fit on my motherboard and is it going to cool my cpu with low noise or do i need to set the cooler on high. Thats why I'm thinking of buying the zalman x10 extreme because you can turn it on high and low when you want, like the zalman cnps 7500.

Thats an outdated feature. New motherboards have CPU FAN power plugs and will automatically ramp up the fan speed if the CPU starts getting hot. You dont need manual control or an external module anymore.

Since you are getting an expensive new 6 core CPU, I would not risk using an old CPU fan designed to keep two generation ago dual core athlons cool.

Another good CPU cooler option is the Xigmatek S1283 series (S1283 Rifle cooler, Red Scorpion, Dark Knight or Balder). They cool sligthly better than the hyper 212. Any 120mm tower cooler should be fine; the hyper 212, xigmatek 1283, Sunbeam core contact freezer and Scythe Mugen 2 are all very good economical choices.
July 8, 2010 9:57:22 PM

dndhatcher said:
Thats an outdated feature. New motherboards have CPU FAN power plugs and will automatically ramp up the fan speed if the CPU starts getting hot for you. You dont need manual control or an external module anymore.

Since you are getting an expensive new 6 core CPU, I would not risk using an old CPU fan designed to keep two generation ago dual core athlons cool.

Like you said the motherboard controls the cpu fan, if im going to play games or etc is it going to make much noise , thats my main concern.
July 8, 2010 10:10:59 PM

barrymobiel said:
Like you said the motherboard controls the cpu fan, if im going to play games or etc is it going to make much noise , thats my main concern.

No one can answer a question about "too much noise". That is a subjective opinion. If that old Zalman 7500 is quiet enough for you, any of the larger 120mm coolers will be quieter. It also doesnt matter because the case fans are going to also be making as much noise as the CPU fan.

You cant get substantially quieter unless you spend alot of money on a good liquid cooling system with a large external radiator (not just a cheap 3x120mm setup).

If you are buying this as a gaming machine, you need to read articles about that CPU, its probably not worth the money.

July 9, 2010 4:21:54 PM

Quote:
I want a silent pc.

I've only build one computer, but my priority was silence, so the following is from experience.

First, I recommend you read the reviews on www.spcr.com for all of the components you intend to buy - there is a very good chance you will find something quieter that you haven't yet considered.

I've had the CM 690 and the Antec 300. I chose the 300 because it was a bit smaller, had better airflow (imo) and was cheaper. The 690 mk II is much roomier, has more room for fans and has excellent cable management. The case doesn't affect overall noise much. The components you have chosen will comfortably fit in both, although you'll have more room in the 690.

For cpu cooling... I'm using a Noctua nh-u12p se2 - it's quieter than almost everything and the cooling performance is good.
July 9, 2010 5:12:52 PM

tom thumb said:
Quote:
I want a silent pc.

I've only build one computer, but my priority was silence, so the following is from experience.

First, I recommend you read the reviews on www.spcr.com for all of the components you intend to buy - there is a very good chance you will find something quieter that you haven't yet considered.

I've had the CM 690 and the Antec 300. I chose the 300 because it was a bit smaller, had better airflow (imo) and was cheaper. The 690 mk II is much roomier, has more room for fans and has excellent cable management. The case doesn't affect overall noise much. The components you have chosen will comfortably fit in both, although you'll have more room in the 690.

For cpu cooling... I'm using a Noctua nh-u12p se2 - it's quieter than almost everything and the cooling performance is good.

Are you sure that it is the right site?
It's all about audio.
July 9, 2010 7:38:57 PM

Hereisphilly said:
If you are really in the pursuit of a quiet pc, may i suggest the Fractal Design R2 case, superb at keeping the volumes low.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/01/15/fractal-des...

http://www.amazon.de/Diverse-FRACTAL-DESIGN-DEFINE-R2/d...

+1 for getting a scythe mugen, its the best cooler out of that list, really cheap, comes with a really good scythe fan, and the cooling can cut it with systems costing twice the price

I think I'm going to buy the antec p183, it's does a goed job. I'm going to move the top fan to the front and i'm going to add another fan at the front.
!