Sign in with
Your question

HD 5970 or GTX 480 bottleneck Q9650?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 29, 2010 1:09:02 PM

Hi guys my GTX280 died on me yesterday, so im looking into buying a new one again and onsidering HD5970 and GTX480 atm.

Just wondering will I get a bottleneck with my current spec?

Q9650
Asus Maximus 2 Formula
Corsair 8GB DDR2
Coolermaster 1000w

Will there be a bottleneck also if Im going to cross-fire it? (SLI not possible as this is not an nvidia card)

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 1:37:53 PM

There will be a bottleneck in CPU intensive games like BFBC2. Otherwise very little, better if you overclock.
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 1:46:15 PM

You should be fine with only one GTX 480 or 5970, there will be a bottleneck when it comes to current generation CPUs but you can overlock if you got decent cooling.
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 2:01:20 PM

where are you from? graphics cards (well most of em) have 2 years warranty.

have that 280 repaired and hold on to it because the refresh cards will be coming.
May 29, 2010 3:26:53 PM

wh3resmycar said:

have that 280 repaired and hold on to it because the refresh cards will be coming.

Australia, dont think it has 2 years warranty here. I have voided my warranty anyway by watercooing
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 4:29:55 PM

iCeQubeTomato said:
Australia, dont think it has 2 years warranty here. I have voided my warranty anyway by watercooing

Well if it is dead as you say it is and with out warranty then give the old oven back trick a shot them maybe it will work. Does it power up at all if not I don't think it will be able to be brought back but if there is only blocks and triangles then it may still have some useful life left.
May 29, 2010 4:46:26 PM

wh3resmycar said:

Refresh cards?
May 29, 2010 7:11:23 PM

nforce4max said:
Well if it is dead as you say it is and with out warranty then give the old oven back trick a shot them maybe it will work. Does it power up at all if not I don't think it will be able to be brought back but if there is only blocks and triangles then it may still have some useful life left.

Yeap it still powers up but i couldnt get passed my login screen, it turns into a black screen with artifacts all over the screen. Im lretty sure the gpu is fine its the memories thats now dead. My gpu is watercooled but not the rest of the card. I used to see minor screen flickrs and artifacts when gpu temp at 70
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 7:22:58 PM

iCeQubeTomato said:
Yeap it still powers up but i couldnt get passed my login screen, it turns into a black screen with artifacts all over the screen. Im lretty sure the gpu is fine its the memories thats now dead. My gpu is watercooled but not the rest of the card. I used to see minor screen flickrs and artifacts when gpu temp at 70

Well that is better than no signal at all so give it a shot in the oven. Take the block and pads off along with any compound there may be. Then look up the proper temp to bake it and time as well on overclock forums. This normally the quick fix for older G80 boards and there has been reported cases ware there was success with ATI cards.
May 29, 2010 8:43:40 PM

whoa didnt knw thats possible, can you point me to the right direction like a link?
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 9:24:11 PM

iCeQubeTomato said:
whoa didnt knw thats possible, can you point me to the right direction like a link?

http://forum.****/xtreme-news/17242-extreme-science-baking-8800-gtx-no-56kers.html

When you take it out of the oven no sudden movements. just slowly and gently remove the try from the oven and set it down on the oven or counter to allow the card to cool. No longer than 10 min. Since I don't know ware you live you will need to find out the proper temp to which to bake your card. To hot all bets are off, to cool the problems will be the same as before.
!