restoring to factory settings

Is it possible to restore my lap top to original factory settings. it came
with Windows XP pre installed so I have no disks to reinstal OS. I feel like
just formatting the drive and buying the OS software to start again, but
thought I would try and see if it was possible to restore to original
settings first.
4 answers Last reply
More about restoring factory settings

    This depends on who the manufacturer of the laptop is. IBM for example
    includes a hidden partition with all of the software needed to restore your
    laptop. I'm pretty sure HP does something similar as well. If not, I know you
    can also get restore disks from each of those companies to restore your
    system to it's original settings.

    pj wrote:
    > Is it possible to restore my lap top to original factory settings. it came
    > with Windows XP pre installed so I have no disks to reinstal OS. I feel like
    > just formatting the drive and buying the OS software to start again, but
    > thought I would try and see if it was possible to restore to original
    > settings first.

    The laptop should have come with a restore CD, which would reinstall XP
    with its correct drivers. You'd lose all your data and applications that
    you've installed though.

    If you don't have the restore CD, contact the laptop's support line.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    pj wrote:

    > "null" wrote:
    >

    >>pj wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to restore my lap top to original factory settings. it came
    >>>with Windows XP pre installed so I have no disks to reinstal OS. I feel like
    >>>just formatting the drive and buying the OS software to start again, but
    >>>thought I would try and see if it was possible to restore to original
    >>>settings first.
    >>
    >>The laptop should have come with a restore CD, which would reinstall XP
    >>with its correct drivers. You'd lose all your data and applications that
    >>you've installed though.
    >>
    >>If you don't have the restore CD, contact the laptop's support line.
    >>
    >>--
    >>The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and
    >>data files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their
    >>PC, as well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not
    >>liable for problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice
    >>posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    >>of this message.
    >>
    >>Thankyou for your info, I have 'Product Recovery CD's' and they say that they contain the software that was pre installed on the hard drive at the factory. I presume that this includes the OS.......

    One of the CDs you have should have the OS on it - if you are uncertain,
    contact the laptop manufacturer. Just remember that with a reinstall,
    you will lose all your data, as well as any applications that *you* have
    installed.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

Configuration Microsoft Factory Restore Windows XP