Your question

Server not seeing the client

Last response: in Networking
March 15, 2010 9:29:14 PM

Hi

i have connect a XP machine to a 2003 windows server

the client can see the server and can also ping the server

but the server not ping the client

when i try to create a user account in ACTIVE DIRECTORY it come up with that the user name you are trying to create DOES NOT meet the requirment

More about : server client

March 16, 2010 1:16:05 AM

How are you trying to create the user? What is the user name?
March 16, 2010 10:11:19 AM

GhislainG said:
How are you trying to create the user? What is the user name?

user name- mohammed

why is that the server can not see the client when the client can see the server

IP ADDRESS for the server is 192.168.1.1

ip adress for the client is 192.168.1.2
Related resources
March 16, 2010 12:59:29 PM

You are trying to create a used named mohammed, but AD won't ley you do it? Anything else is named mohammed in AD, e.g., the domain, the server or a PC?

How did you determine that the server doesn't see the client? You tried to ping the client and it didn't reply? That might be because the firewall is active on the client while it isn't on the server.

March 16, 2010 8:21:31 PM

GhislainG said:
You are trying to create a used named mohammed, but AD won't ley you do it? Anything else is named mohammed in AD, e.g., the domain, the server or a PC?

How did you determine that the server doesn't see the client? You tried to ping the client and it didn't reply? That might be because the firewall is active on the client while it isn't on the server.

I have tried all sorts my wife name, work name etc

i ping the server through the client but i can not ping the client through through the server
March 16, 2010 10:12:19 PM

Can you post the actual screen that you get when trying to add a user in AD?

Disable the firewall on the PC and you'll be able to ping it.
March 18, 2010 7:07:56 PM

GhislainG said:

it says that it does not meet the requirments in order to set the user name
March 18, 2010 7:09:20 PM

GhislainG said:

where do i go to check if the firewall is on?
March 18, 2010 8:31:12 PM

mbismillah said:
it says that it does not meet the requirments in order to set the user name

That message normally comes up only if you use a password that doesn't meet the requirements. Are you using a complex password?
March 18, 2010 8:37:46 PM

mbismillah said:
where do i go to check if the firewall is on?

Control Panel, Windows Firewall. You can keep it active, but in order to reply to pings, you have to allow ICMP traffic. To do that, click Advanced, ICMP Settings and check Allow incoming echo request. Click OK twice to save the settings.
March 19, 2010 1:29:24 PM

GhislainG said:
That message normally comes up only if you use a password that doesn't meet the requirements. Are you using a complex password?

i am not using complex password

this is what is say

"the pasword does not meet the password policy requirment, check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirment."

Thank you for helping me with the Pinging the client from the server
March 19, 2010 1:45:17 PM

That's what I said. You have 2 options: you use a password like Abc123! that meets password complexity requirements or disable password complexity (not recommended).
March 20, 2010 5:15:55 AM

LOOOL that was some funny
March 20, 2010 7:32:00 AM

GhislainG said:
That's what I said. You have 2 options: you use a password like Abc123! that meets password complexity requirements or disable password complexity (not recommended).

Thanks Got it sorted out

do i have to create a user accont on the clients machine as well as on the server or would crating the name on the server would be enough?

evertime i create a user account on the server i have to create the same user on the client

is it possible that i can create the user account only on the server
March 20, 2010 11:35:00 AM

You should never create the account on the client side. If the PC is in the domain, domain users should be able to log on to it. If they need power user or administrator rights, then add the required domain accounts to the local power users or administrator groups. Again, never create an equivalent local account, except for the local administrator account that always exists.
March 20, 2010 4:15:07 PM

GhislainG said:
You should never create the account on the client side. If the PC is in the domain, domain users should be able to log on to it. If they need power user or administrator rights, then add the required domain accounts to the local power users or administrator groups. Again, never create an equivalent local account, except for the local administrator account that always exists.

when i created the user account only on the server it did not reconise the account. when i created the user on the cllient as well then it only regnoise the user
March 20, 2010 5:46:56 PM

On the PC, did you join the domain? In other words, do you see the client computer in Active Directory Users and Computers? If not, then you should make it join the domain.

Edit: When you login on the PC, do you select a domain account?
March 20, 2010 8:35:46 PM

GhislainG said:
On the PC, did you join the domain? In other words, do you see the client computer in Active Directory Users and Computers? If not, then you should make it join the domain.

it does see all of the above and i did join the doiman
March 20, 2010 8:39:25 PM

GhislainG said:

in Active Directory where would i need to put the users in ?

I have put the users in the gereral users in AC , do i need to put the users in the domain group in AC
March 20, 2010 8:46:01 PM

You create the user in AD on the server. Isn't it what you did when you added your user? If so, then the user is in AD and that user should be in the Domain Users group.

Go to the Active Directory section at http://www.visualwin.com/ and click on the type of task that you want to perform.
March 21, 2010 2:16:13 PM

GhislainG said:
You create the user in AD on the server. Isn't it what you did when you added your user? If so, then the user is in AD and that user should be in the Domain Users group.

Go to the Active Directory section at http://www.visualwin.com/ and click on the type of task that you want to perform.

Thanks I created the user IN AC and not in thr Domain User Group
March 21, 2010 4:50:45 PM

What's AC?
March 22, 2010 3:52:14 PM

GhislainG said:
What's AC?

Sorry

AD(active directory)
March 28, 2010 4:53:49 PM

GhislainG said:
What's AC?

Hi

how would i share an internet connection?

i have put 2 NIC in the server (one for the netwrok and the other for the internet)
would this work?
March 28, 2010 8:03:02 PM

If the server is connecting to the Internet and it's properly configured, then it will work fine. The server will behave as a router; nothing else is required.
March 29, 2010 8:02:08 AM

GhislainG said:
If the server is connecting to the Internet and it's properly configured, then it will work fine. The server will behave as a router; nothing else is required.

so it will go like this

Router connected to the Server

server connected to the switch

all the other PC's connected to the switch
March 29, 2010 12:16:44 PM

That's correct. The default gateway on the server will be the router. I presume that you'll setup DHCP on the server and configure it properly. The following scope options are required:

- 003 Router (your server's LAN IP address)
- DNS Server (probably your ISP's)

March 30, 2010 1:45:54 PM

Wow what a long discussion
March 30, 2010 7:14:09 PM

GhislainG said:
That's correct. The default gateway on the server will be the router. I presume that you'll setup DHCP on the server and configure it properly. The following scope options are required:

- 003 Router (your server's LAN IP address)
- DNS Server (probably your ISP's)

Hi
what is a 003?

will the sever give out IP ADDRESS OR THE actual Hradware Router?
March 30, 2010 8:22:41 PM

003 is the router in your DHCP configuration. Don't you have Windows 2003 Server and if so, why don't you try it? Your server should be the DHCP server for the client PCs. That can't be done by the router if it's hidden behind the server.
April 1, 2010 7:24:12 PM

GhislainG said:
003 is the router in your DHCP configuration. Don't you have Windows 2003 Server and if so, why don't you try it? Your server should be the DHCP server for the client PCs. That can't be done by the router if it's hidden behind the server.

Hi

if i setup the INTERNET with 2 NIC in the server will i need to get an IP ADDRESS FROM MY ISP?

I was told that this is a hardway in ceonnecting the network to the internet
April 1, 2010 7:41:49 PM

wow again it statred
April 1, 2010 7:46:53 PM

GhislainG said:

How would you setup the Internt if you were using a star topology network?
April 1, 2010 7:47:35 PM

Quote:
if i setup the INTERNET with 2 NIC in the server will i need to get an IP ADDRESS FROM MY ISP?
How could I answer that? You should know if you have a static IP address or not from your ISP. If you don't know, ask them.
Quote:
Why is that? I use it when I want to route traffic through a server; otherwise all PCs and the modem are connected to the same switch (I always use the server for DHCP). I presume that you know why you want to route traffic through the server. If you only have a modem and no router, then you have no other option than use your server as a router.
April 1, 2010 8:16:48 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
How could I answer that? You should know if you have a static IP address or not from your ISP. If you don't know, ask them.
Quote:
Why is that? I use it when I want to route traffic through a server; otherwise all PCs and the modem are connected to the same switch (I always use the server for DHCP). I presume that you know why you want to route traffic through the server. If you only have a modem and no router, then you have no other option than use your server as a router.

what if i have a router and modem as one device?
April 1, 2010 9:26:13 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
Quote:

here is the situations

have a star topology and i need the server to control the internet( what machine can have access etc.) and

i have a Router/modem and a switch
April 1, 2010 9:29:41 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
Quote:

I HAVE A BROARDBAND ROUTER
April 1, 2010 9:38:30 PM

A broadband router doesn't necessarily support NAT and DHCP.
April 11, 2010 8:52:57 PM

GhislainG said:
A broadband router doesn't necessarily support NAT and DHCP.

Hi

i am having problems with my DHCP on Windows 2003 Server, i have to manualy put the IP Address on the Clients and also the Server, when i chose to use automatic it gives out a error.

i am using a switch will that be the problem
April 11, 2010 9:48:30 PM

You have to decide if the server or the router (I presume that you have a router and not a switch; otherwise you wouldn't be concerned) will provide IP addresses. A DHCP server has to have a static IP address, i.e., it can't assign a dynamic IP address to itself. Once the server has a static IP address, then you can configure the DHCP server and it will work. You can't have a router and a server providing DHCP services at the same time. That will always cause issues.
April 30, 2010 9:51:43 AM

GhislainG said:
You have to decide if the server or the router (I presume that you have a router and not a switch; otherwise you wouldn't be concerned) will provide IP addresses. A DHCP server has to have a static IP address, i.e., it can't assign a dynamic IP address to itself. Once the server has a static IP address, then you can configure the DHCP server and it will work. You can't have a router and a server providing DHCP services at the same time. That will always cause issues.

what is the purpose of a distribution server?

how to set up a distribution server to install OS to workstation?
April 30, 2010 12:05:42 PM

Did you visit technet.microsoft.com? You'll find detailed instructions on how to set up a distribution server.
April 30, 2010 1:18:02 PM

GhislainG said:
Did you visit technet.microsoft.com? You'll find detailed instructions on how to set up a distribution server.

i want to know what it is
April 30, 2010 8:32:48 PM

Are you referring to Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager or some other product? The purpose is to distribute software to client PCs, etc.
May 2, 2010 10:06:10 PM

GhislainG said:
Are you referring to Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager or some other product? The purpose is to distribute software to client PCs, etc.

HI

what is the purpose of OEM set-up tools and a situation where they might be used?
May 2, 2010 11:49:54 PM

I'm not 100% sure what your question is, but I'll try to answer it. For instance if you setup a server like an HP DL380 G6, all required drivers will be installed for you.
May 3, 2010 1:53:32 PM

GhislainG said:
I'm not 100% sure what your question is, but I'll try to answer it. For instance if you setup a server like an HP DL380 G6, all required drivers will be installed for you.

What does this mean

prepare unattended control and parameter files?
May 3, 2010 9:19:03 PM

It means exactly what it says. Prepare automated answer files. If you really need to know that stuff because it's your job, courses are available.
May 3, 2010 9:44:17 PM

GhislainG said:
It means exactly what it says. Prepare automated answer files. If you really need to know that stuff because it's your job, courses are available.

Hi
how do you prepare one of these files?

thank you
May 4, 2010 2:57:42 AM

Use the tools that are provided.
!