Unlocking the third output on my video card?

AnctilNDG

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Hello,I have 3 outputs on my video card but I can only use 2 at the same time, one dvi and the blue connection one plus a s-video, its a ATI card, I would like to have 3 outputs at the same time, how can I unlock it?

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well first off what ati card is it

right now the only single card to run more then two displays are the radeon hd 5xxx series, and even some of those don't support eyefinity

based from your description it's probably not a 5xxx series since most are equip with one dvi vga and display port

AnctilNDG

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Thx for your reply, your probably right, I doubt its a HD version since I got it included with my PC, I am guessing the best option to get what I want would be to buy a second video card with a s-video, so I can get the third output going, I simply need it for running video game emulators and movies, I'll go cheap, thx for the help, I am a total newb ;)

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
most likely it's an hd radoen is just the name of there cards from like the last 5 years. you can find out what it is on vista or 7 by typing device manger in the start search.

open up the device manger go to display adaptors click on it, in the sub category it should say the name of your video card

4745454b

Titan
right now the only single card to run more then two displays are the radeon hd 5xxx series, and even some of those don't support eyefinity

Wrong. All 5xxx cards support Eyefinity. What you need to use that third monitor is an active DMI to DVI adapter. Rumor says some passive ones will work, but the active ones will work for sure. I agree with everything else. If it has a DVI, Dsub, and svideo its probably an older card. One that only supports two monitors.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Well i guess that was misleading, i know that each gpu supports eyefinity, but i've heard that some of the card don't come with 3 physical connections, which looking back was dumb to mention because he's was already talking about his third port

4745454b

Titan
Ahhh, now I got you. On some of the lower cards I'm sure thats true. I remember reading and an ti 4200 that came with 64MBs of ram, and a single VGA connector. Right on the box it talked about supporting dual view, which of course it can't with only one output...