How to choose best DDR3 for Sandybridge when NOT overclocking

spartanmouse

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I'm building a Hyper-V 2008 server to host several Windows/Exchange/SQL server VMs using a i5-2500K CPU and Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 motherboard.

I want the i5-2500K's built-in GPU so I'm using the H67 chipset, which means I WON'T be doing any overclocking.

I need the 16GB of RAM in it to be as stable and high performing as possible without OCing, so I want to keep it at 1.5V as recommended for Sandybridge, but I don't understand which other criteria to use to make my choice.

H67 chipset locks RAM to 1333MHz, but I think I can use 1600 modules with it. If so, does this enforced underclocking change anything else I should be aware of? How do voltage, speed and latency affect one another?

I'm looking at 2 x Kingston HyperX Genesis KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX but product description says "9-9-9-27 at 1.65V".

Alternatively considering 2 x G.Skill RipJawsX F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM which mentions CAS Latency: 8-8-8-24 and Test Voltage: 1.5V.

Would either of these be fine and is there anything between them, or are they both unsuitable? I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment! Thanks in advance.

spartanmouse

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

Thanks for that.

I just had another thought. Could height of RipJawX be a problem on this mATX board with the CPU heatsink/fan? I'm looking at Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 or Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro Extreme.

Heat's not going to be a problem, I just want it to be silent. Can't find full details of dimensions/shape of all components to work it out.