wide angle (28mm), AA batteries camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 19, 2004 7:19:20 PM

Is there a compact model that has wide angle (28mm equiv) and uses AA
batteries?

For some reason, canon makes cameras with 28mm wide angle (S60, S70, Pro1)
and they also make cameras that use AA batteries (A series), but they don't
have one camera with both features.

Even though there are hundreds of digital cameras to choose from, it is hard
to find what I want. I wish digital cameras can be customized like ordering
a PC.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:36:06 PM

In article <cShxd.313$L7.254@trnddc05>, peter <nospam@nospam.com> writes
>Is there a compact model that has wide angle (28mm equiv) and uses AA
>batteries?
>
>For some reason, canon makes cameras with 28mm wide angle (S60, S70, Pro1)
>and they also make cameras that use AA batteries (A series), but they don't
>have one camera with both features.
>
>Even though there are hundreds of digital cameras to choose from, it is hard
>to find what I want. I wish digital cameras can be customized like ordering
>a PC.

If you are prepared to compromise slightly on the 28mm requirement you
could purchase a used Kodak DC-280 which has a 30-60mm 2x zoom and runs
on 4x AA. These cameras are 2Megapix but got good reviews for image
quality and are now relatively inexpensive.

--
David Wright
December 20, 2004 7:02:04 AM

peter wrote:

> Is there a compact model that has wide angle (28mm equiv) and uses AA
> batteries?
>
> For some reason, canon makes cameras with 28mm wide angle (S60, S70, Pro1)
> and they also make cameras that use AA batteries (A series), but they don't
> have one camera with both features.
>
> Even though there are hundreds of digital cameras to choose from, it is hard
> to find what I want. I wish digital cameras can be customized like ordering
> a PC.

Perhaps a Minlota Diamge 7 would be a contender?
28-200mm (35mm equivalent) lens and uses 4 AA batteries.
It also has a ton of features that make it almost as versatile as a true
dslr.
Second-hand off eBay would be the way to go.
December 20, 2004 7:02:05 AM

> peter wrote:
>
>> Is there a compact model that has wide angle (28mm equiv) and uses AA
>> batteries?

Coolpix 5000, with the accessory AA battery holder -- The 6 AA cells will
power the thing all day, it seems. Add the accessory lens, and the field of
veiw becomes equiv to 18mm or so.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply