Will a new mother board fit in my 2003 case?

G

Hello,
I have a computer that I built in 2003 using an asus P4T533-C mother board (windows xp) and want to upgrade it for my son for high school use. Will that case fit a new mother board that will run windows 7?

Also does any one have a suggestion on components to use for a mid range cost & speed (usable for 3 yrs) upgrade, use is primarily for High school and maybe some gaming.

What case? Regardless, the board is an ATX board, which is the current standard, so it's most likely that the case will fit anything that's current.

As for a build, what are you looking to spend? Take a look at the guidelines from the link in my signature for the information we need to really give a good recommendation. You can get off the ground with under $500, but $600 is the price where builds become future proof. Those prices include a case, but not an OS. If you don't need the case, but need the OS, you're looking at $550 to start and $650 to get something really good.

Here's the starter build:

CPU/GPU: X3 440 and HD 5770 $227
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3[url] $80 after rebate
RAM: [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194]Crucial 2x1 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 9
$51
HDD/PSU: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB and OCZ ModXStream 500W $75 after rebate
Case/Optical: Coolermaster 690 and cheap SATA DVD burner $83

Total: $516

Here's the upgradeable build:

CPU/GPU: X3 440 and HD 5770 $227
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $125
RAM: G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $104
HDD: Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $120
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $20

Total: $651

G

thanks big time for your suggestion, in regards to budget under $700
I don't have the operating system yet, but have the case, it has a 300w power supply will that be enough power?
In regards to a Mobo, I really like and have had great sucess with ASUS, any suggestions with asus?

300W is pushing it. Especially since it would be a low quality unit. To be honest, I would probably just buy everything new, including the case.

Asus and Gigabyte are basically the same. It just happens that Gigabyte's boards are cheaper than equivalent Asus right now. About the only one I would even consider is the Asus M4A89GTD Pro.

The ones above. With a single 5770 (good enough for gaming at high details and 1600x resolutions), a quality 400W would be enough. For future proofing with the option to Crossfire (add a second video card) later, a 650W would be needed.

For quality, stick to Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, SeaSonic and PC Power & Cooling. OCZ is decent for it's price, but always get a bigger one than you think is necessary.