Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Antec Aria Case and PSU...

Last response: in Components
September 4, 2010 9:13:20 PM

My brother just bought a PC off of craigslist. It's in an Antec Aria case. He has a 5770 that he wants to put in it. At first I thought the problem was gonna be trying to fit the 5770 into the small case. I checked, and although it'll be tight, I'm pretty sure it will fit. I'm not too concerned about ventilation either, seeing as the case has some mods to it, specifically clear plastic sides with a spot cut into each side and a fan mounted to each side for a push and pull setup. Now the issue is that this thing only has a 300W PSU. I realize that that simply wont cut it. Here are the specs of the machine currently:
AMD 2.6ghz Quad Core CPU
4GB DDR2 RAM
350GB HDD
6600GT GPU
300W PSU

What are the options for power supplies with this case? Normally I'm really good with computers, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with smaller cases like this. Should he get one new PSU for everything? Another option that came across my mind was to let the 300W PSU power everything like it is(minus the 6600GT of course), and then get a PSU for just the 5770 and attach it to the case with a custom mod. What are your thoughts on this?

More about : antec aria case psu

a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2010 9:33:02 PM

Seems like the ARIA uses a proprietary PSU, so replacemants aren out of the question unless you mod the case extensively.

One option is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But buying a new case+PSU might come out cheaper and better.

September 5, 2010 4:22:24 PM

So that one that you linked is just used to power the gpu right(5770 in this case)? Do you think that the current 300W PSU can continue to power everything besides the 5770 sufficiently, like it's not being pushed to an extreme limit? If so, I guess I'll have him order that and mount it on the outside of the case somehow.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2010 4:29:12 PM

The current 300W should power the CPU fine, has a healthy 224W on the 12V rail. But if you're going to put the PSU outside of the case anyways, just get a normal PSU.

The one linked goes in the 5.25 bay, which is an internal solution.
September 5, 2010 7:00:31 PM

Timop said:
The current 300W should power the CPU fine, has a healthy 224W on the 12V rail. But if you're going to put the PSU outside of the case anyways, just get a normal PSU.

The one linked goes in the 5.25 bay, which is an internal solution.

But will the 300W also power the HDD, RAM, and CD player fine? Well, to be honest, I don't think there is room inside for it. With a normal PSU, I thought that they didn't power on unless you had the 24/20pin mobo connector plugged in. Is this correct? And a normal PSU unit is also a quite different shape, one that is harder to mount outside, but it could still be done I guess. If he got a normal PSU for just the GPU, how much wattage would he need? Could you link me one possible? Ty for all your help so far.
a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2010 7:08:51 PM

trogdor796 said:
But will the 300W also power the HDD, RAM, and CD player fine? Well, to be honest, I don't think there is room inside for it. With a normal PSU, I thought that they didn't power on unless you had the 24/20pin mobo connector plugged in. Is this correct? And a normal PSU unit is also a quite different shape, one that is harder to mount outside, but it could still be done I guess. If he got a normal PSU for just the GPU, how much wattage would he need? Could you link me one possible? Ty for all your help so far.

The main thing a PSU needs to power is the CPU+GPU, the RAM, HDD, CD drive takes up 20W maximum. What CPU Is it exactly? If its a Phenom 2 you'll have a decent amount of headroom, with the original Phenom it will be just enough.

But with the effort and cost being put in this, Id simply suggest a $105 SUGO2 case + 400W Neo Eco combo and just switch cases. You could sell the Aria for at least $30 on ebay.

SUGO2: $75 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZCUMA/ref=pd_lpo_...

Neo Eco 400W: $30AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 5, 2010 10:02:54 PM

It's a Phenom 9950. He is already a little over budget, so I think he is going to just buy another power supply just for the GPU and mount it on the outside. So how many watts would he need for a power supply for just the 5770, and how can it work w/o the mobo connector being plugged in?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 5, 2010 10:12:31 PM

The 5770 uses 80W on max and the 9950 uses 150W on max, factor another 30W for the drives and board, factoring in so get something at least 320W on the 12V rail.

That Neo Eco is probably the cheapest quality you'll find.

However, If you REALLY want to save money, you could undervolt the CPU and pass by using that 300W.
September 5, 2010 10:26:43 PM

So are you saying that the Neo Eco could replace the stock PSU completely? Like I could swap them out? Or would this be for mounting it on the outside of the case and just using for the 5770? I'm just not understanding, probably not your fault though lol.
June 14, 2011 8:31:46 PM

Best answer selected by trogdor796.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 9:12:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!