Solved

Looking to get more speed from my Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

Looking for advice on how to make my PC faster...

Typically use my computer for PS CS4 and Lightroom 3. I occationally do slideshow movies using Photostory 3 and bring in the videos to Premiere Elements and add the sound and piece together the individual Photostory movies with transitions.

Still on XP! Current system has 2GB RAM (2 x 1 GB, has 4 slots though so room to expand there). The motherboard (GA-M57SLI-S4) supports AMD Socket AM2. (I believe that AM2+ and AM3 CPUs will work in an AM2, but with some reduction in power????). Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 2400.

I've receive some "advice" from Tiger Direct that said I do not need to upgrade my Processor as it is fast enough and the difference in speed from a newer processor would not balance the cost. If that's correct, I'm happy, but surely a faster pocessor like the Phonom II X4 955 would provide a speed increase. Wouldn't it?

I'd like to keep the current mobo, but what would be a "sensible" upgrade to achieve more speed given the software apps I use.

Thanks for any help...
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking speed gigabyte m57sli
  1. Best answer
    Upgrade to 4GB of ram would be the first step. The board if all revision only supports AM3 95watt CPU's if you plan an upgrade. http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2287
    A fast X3 or X4 would be a good upgrade from an AM2 Athlon 64 X2
  2. Best answer selected by mRoy62.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Motherboards