HAF 932 vs 922 vs Scout Sniper Case - Which to Choose?

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
The thread title says it all... I'm having a tough time deciding on which case to get with my build. What are your thoughts on which case I should get?

My setup will be the following (only listed so you guys can see how much room I'll need):
ATX Mobo (GA-X58D-UD3R)
Corsair 650 PSU
Only one mid-range video card (so it won't be too huge), but may SLI/Crossfire later with 2 cards max
Hyper 212 HSF

I like the 932 best as its fans are huge and stays so cool inside, but I'm worried that it might be way too big. The Scout Sniper has a few extra features like fan speed control and filters, but I've read that it doesn't cool as well as the 932 and is almost just as big. The 922 is smaller and cheaper, but I worry that it won't cool as well as the 932

All thoughts/opinions/rants welcomed :)

All of those are pretty big. Out of the three, the 922 is the best. It's cooling is on par with the 932, but it's a load cheaper.

I'd also look at the Antec 300 Illusion and Coolermaster 690. Both of those are excellent cases and would be perfect as long as the video cards aren't massive. They'll fit anything that's smaller than the HD 5870.

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Thanks for the response

Why would you say that the 922 is the best out of the three I listed?

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
best on a cost basis, but if you need the room the 932 has much more elbow room than the 922. I say it's worth the extra 40 bucks.

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Thanks

If I opt for the 932, will it be possible to switch out the front USB 2.0 header to one that supports USB 3.0 later??

banthracis

Distinguished

The 922 is the size of many full tower cases...you really don't need bigger.

@ OP

You'd have to ask CM if they plan on making a new one you can buy, but unless they do, the answer is no.

While the USB 3 interface is backwards compatible with USB 1/2 devices, USB 3 will use an additional four data wires with USB 3 devices. It will also send more power through the lines. As a result, a case header designed for USB 1/2 will not be compatible with USB 3.

Probably not.

The reasons I like the 922:

1.) Price. You literally can't get a larger case for less. Despite being called a mid tower, the 922 is larger than many full towers (such as the Antec 1200). The size difference between the 932 and 922 is basically nothing.

2.) Performance. The 922 is one of the best cases on the market. It keeps everything cool, it's easy to build in, and cable management is easier than in the 932.

3.) Features. The 922 is loaded with features. It has large fans, with room for more. It's got dust filters, unlike the 932. It has a lot of internal/external bays allowing for easy expansion. You can even turn of the LEDs if you want.

The only real drawback to the HAF 922 is that it's really ugly.

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Thanks, I was just curious. Since this is a new build I'm trying to think several years ahead so that this build will be compatible as future technology comes out

Although the board I listed above doesn't have a USB 3.0 header anyway, so I guess it would be pointless now that I think about it.

But there's always the 3.0 jacks on the back of the board if I ever truly needed it, I suppose

I just can't get behind the HAF X. I mean $225 for basically the same thing as the HAF 932, which is already inferior to the 922? Are you serious? USB 3 jacks or not, there is nothing you can build into a case that would make that premium worth it.

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

It looks like the 922 is significantly lighter too... Although the latest 932s now have internal switches for shutting off the LEDs

Just Curious: If both the 932 and 922 are roughly the same size and since they both have a panel on the far side of the tower for hiding cables, what makes the 922 better for cable management? (My PSU is non-modular so I care about this)

For one, the size. Larger cases are actually harder to properly manage cables because they have to reach further. That means you have less slack to wind around parts and out of site.

Second, if you take a look at the pictures of the interior of the cases, you'll see that the 932 has a single hole by the PSU and another small hole by where the power cable would run. The 922 has empty space running down the whole front of the motherboard. The large hole makes it easier to store cables behind the motherboard's tray. You'd only need them to run to the front of the board instead of to the front and then up the case.

kailuaboi

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

Ok, good info! Thank you sir! Very helpful information

Hereisphilly

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

I totally agree with you, hence why i have a haf 922, and aint gonna change it for the world
Jus stating what i believe to be the only case with usb3 front panel headers

Hereisphilly

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

+1 lol! the haf 922 shouldnt really be called a mid tower, it really is that big!

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008